Connect a device (dt 2.6.2 on Windows 10)

Hello darktable experts,

I am using darktable 2.6.2 on Windows 10 and want to conncet my camera Fujifilm X-E3.
Unfortunately this doesn’t work, i.e. the message on top left of lightable stays “no supported devices found”.

Now I am not sure, if I am doing something wrong or if the X-E3 isn’t supported.
Background why I want to use this functionality:
I am currently working with Lightroom 6.14, but thinking of switching to darktable, and would like to stick to my workflows as far as possible. In this case this is copying/moving fotos from a camera to a folder to be created by darktable and a file rename (both based on exif data).

Any help would be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance for taking your time!

Jacob

gphoto2 is the library that handles this type of connection. I don’t see the X-E3 listed as supported.

You can work to add support and we would be able to help with that.

thank you , I found the list gphoto2 with the section “To report a not yet supported camera…”

I am motivated to give input, but I don’t understand the procedure, e.g. " Record the output of lsusb to get the USB ids.": Is this referring to Windows? I have no clue what lsusb is.
Could you give me a hint?

lsusb is a Linux command. You’d need some sort of terminal on windows, such as msys2 mingw.

Perhaps @afre @peterbud or @gaaned92 can help with specifics

@peterbud is likely the most equipped to help.

@peterbud I am not very technical, but curious. I installed now MSYS2 MinGW 64-bit on my Windows 10 PC. I am really willing to give more to the community than I get back. But could you give me a helping hand?
What exactly do I need to do to provide the required feedback mentioned here:

• Record the output of lsusb to get the USB ids.
  • Record the output of gphoto2 --auto-detect to see if it is detected in a generic way, or by another name. If it is detected already, run the steps below:
  • Record the output of LANG=C gphoto2 --summary >summary.txt to get generic summary information into the summary.txt file.
  • Record the output of LANG=C gphoto2 --list-all-config >config.txt to get the configuration tree into the config.txt file.
  • Record the output of gphoto2 --capture-image to see if capture works already.

Thanks for your time!

Regards
Jacob

@marccccc before going down that road…
libgphoto does support Fuji Fujifilm X-E2, which gives some confidence that X-E3 might work, so let’s find out whether your camera is supported first.
First question: have you followed the description how to set up camera driver for tethering:

libgphoto2 doesn’t work with the default Windows drivers used for connecting them via USB. For tethering to work (in general for libgphoto2 and libusb to work) you need to install a libusb compatible driver.

Curiosity is more valuable than technical skill! If you’re curious enough, you’ll end up with technical skill as a biproduct of your curiosity :slight_smile:

Yeah, solved!
Meanwhile I was overwhelmed by the amount of technical details in the descriptions. But concentrated reading and the willingness to take a certain risk helped.

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Jacob

1 Like

thanks to you peperdigits as well as you moved this topic forward!