Constant panning traveling in a curve, on time (One take effect)

Hello all,

I’m wanting to create a constant panning (in camera) traveling in a curve, starting and ending with the camera behind objects. The panning behind objects (e.g: trees) is to be a natural transition between multiple shots at different locations. The end result is supposed to look like a one take, panning in a full circle around the subject in the center.

Here is a diagram to illustrate:

It needs to be in a curve because the full motion is supposed to be a circle. The area is about maybe 10-20 feet between the start and end point for the curve.

What would be the best way to pull this constant motion off with a time of 3-5min between the start and end point? My main concern is keeping a constant motion in time and not getting shaking footage in the end.

Any ideas? (Maybe this is too crazy of an idea?)

If this isn’t the right place to post, could someone please point me in the right direction?

3-5 minutes o er 10-20ft is moving pretty slowly, if I’m understanding you correctly.

For cinema they’d use a camera on a track. What equipment do you have available?

1 Like

Thinking about it, it may actually end up be closer to 1-2min, but I’m assuming the possible scenario of longer.

What equipment do you have available?

Just a camera and tripod. No gimbal or track. I should mention that this is going to be outdoors and in different terrain and so it seems that something that rolls would be out of the question.

I don’t see how you can do something like that without some kind of track (or a very good drone pilot). Of course, the track doesn’t have to sit directly on the ground, nor does it have to be metal…

1 Like

Yeah, I might have to tone this idea down to something more manageable.

Still open for ideas on how to make this work though.

If all you have is a camera and tripod, and your legs, you need to pretend to be a Steadicam. There is an art to this (which I don’t have). If the tripod and camera are heavy, this will help to reduce camera shake.

If the camera has image stabilization, that might help. Or you can do that in post.

1 Like

True, thank you. Problem is how to do that and walk in an arc… :slightly_smiling_face:

Practise, practise. You might cut a rope of the required radius. Peg one end into the ground, and hold the other end while you walk. Don’t trip up. You might mark the path you need to walk, eg by laying coins.

1 Like

Wearing camera compatible gloves and good shoes may improve your grip and steadiness. Remember to wear protective gear in case you have a little tumble.

Hmmm… That is a good idea. Thank you.

True. Thank you

Are you filming or are you taking photographs or a single panned photograph?

1 Like

This is filming video real-time with no cuts during the arc.

Depending on your expertise as a camera operator I see a lot of testing and training. Smooth movements is one of the reasons I stay away from doing video as far as possible myself.

First a look at camera cages might be worthwhile - holding the camera “just right” can make all the difference for how your body can walk across terrain. Since you don’t have a gimbal or steadycam rig that is the least you can do.

Get a laser pointer and mount it to the hotshoe. At least for training sessions - you can look at the actual object instead of a tiny screen. It also records how consistent you are. MIght even learn how to edit the laser point out of the video. Would make working in the field much easier.

And then I’d seriously look into tracking and image stablizing during post production.

1 Like

Training with a laser pointer is a neat idea.

I have thought about knocking up a wooden frame, with two handles shoulder-width apart. That would reduce movements about two axes. If the camera is somewhat lower than the handles, this would reduce movement about the third axis.

1 Like

Laser pointer is an interesting idea.

Not mentioned yet is keeping the camera lens axis a constant height above mean sea level or precisely level with the subject.

Here’s an idea. :wink: https://youtu.be/cxrwHs_j-1w?si=v_I_0hA2oEFVqXzN

Probably doesn’t help, but this thread came to mind when I saw the video.

Wow. That is really something. Hopefully I won’t need to do something crazy like that to pull this off. :laughing:

1 Like