Converting RGB Images To CMYK

Hi all,

I just finished my first zine and I had some trouble with converting my RGB images to CMYK for printing. I really wish RawTherapee supported CMYK… I ended up using ImageMagick’s convert convert rgb.tif -profile CMYK_profile.icc cmyk.tif but I really wished I had a way to preview and maybe tweak the result a bit. So my question is what have you used to do this conversion in the past?

You can convert an image from RGB to CMYK using Krita, and you can do any final editing in CMYK mode as well.

2 Likes

And if you’ve been using page layout software (Scribus, Adobe InDesign or Affinity Publisher) you can leave the converiosn to be made during the PDF export.

I used Scribus but I wasn’t happy with its conversion.

I leave it to Scribus, I use one of my printers recommended profiles and it normally looks pretty good, this is digital offset print on HP Indigo

it’s important to use the right profile for the type of paper you’re using, coated paper has different qualities to uncoated

I did use a profile recommended by the printer. To be honest it might have just been the preview; the images could have looked good on paper.

yes, you need to see a printed proof, the screen is not accurate, I don’t calibrate my monitor, I rely on the histogram to see if i have a good tonal range

1 Like

i leave images in RGB and soft proof in indesign then convert to the CMYK profile requested by the printer when i export the pdf

1 Like