CR2 and DNG thumbnails in Nautilus

Hi all,

I’m using GNOME on Ubuntu 18.10 and it’s default file manager Nautilus to manage my photos since I cannot conform to any management software like Digikam. And I tried many times but I always end up managing my photos in nautilus.

Now the problem is; I shoot raw with my Canon 77D (CR2) and DJI Inspire 1 (DNG) and I cannot see any thumbnails in Nautilus for those two formats. Or any other raw format for that matter.

The current process that I have to create thumbnails now is to use gThumb to open a folder with (sometimes thousands) images and let it create the appropriate thumbnails. That’s a very slow and painful process which takes away significant amount of my time.

I’ve tried solutions proposed on the web and installing gnome-raw-thumbnailer and some similar tools but it always ends up with me loosing the thumbnails or it takes hours to generate thumbnails for even just a few images.

My dear fellas, has anybody solved this successfully for themselves? If you did, please share the solution here b/c getting those thumbnails is such a pita for me.

Thank you all!

1 Like

That’s one of the reasons I stopped using Nautilus and moved to Geeqie, it deals with whatever format, and speedy-quick at that. You can configure the Edit menu to include your favorite software, but I just make desktop icons for my softwares and I can drag an image from Geeqie to it to open…

1 Like

I can test to see that workflow but I’m still looking for the solution of thumbnails in nautilus :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you download the files with Rapid Photo Downloader it will create the thumbnails for you as it downloads.

For your existing files, it will not help however.

With Archlinux I just had to edit the file “/usr/share/thumbnailers/gdk-pixbuf-thumbnailer.thumbnailer”

and add “image/x-xpixmap;image/x-canon-cr2;” to the line starting with “MimeType=”.

I do not know whether this works under Ubuntu.

Edit: Just checked in a Virtual Machine. Works also on Ubuntu 18.04.

6 Likes

Thank you so much!
You have just solved all my problems :DDDD
It works, and it works pretty fast :smiley:

You are welcome. I also use a canon camera and find this feature in nautilus pretty neat.

1 Like

Unfortunately I have to report that as of Ubuntu 19.10 this solution doesn’t work on my machine anymore.
The thumbnailer tries to create the thumbnails but fails and instead creates 1 pixel png images that it all puts in ~/.cache/thumbnails/fail/gnome-thumbnail-factory.

Can somebody please test it on their machine to confirm the issue and provide feedback?
Or does anybody have a solution to this problem?

I’ve opened bug reports on Launchpad and Gnome GitLab so please, feel free to join in:

and

Thanks!

I liked GNOME DE years ago but making Nautilus show thumbnails for raw files has always been a challenge. I was not able to find a reliable solution and walked away (switched to KDE).Dolphin shows these thumbnails without issues. Maybe one day someone will figure out what did the Dolphin devs do to make it work and contribute that code to Nautilus…

1 Like

The Thomas_Do solution with gdk-pixbuf seems usable in Ubuntu 20.04
I’have tried it with .CR2 files and it seems ok for the moment…

1 Like

I just tried the Thomas_Do solution in Ubuntu 20.04 too and it works like charm. Thank you.

Yes, it seems to be working again in 20.04. :slight_smile: