Crash on "select files"

Hi all,
I’m struggling with getting this potentially awesome software to work. I have managed to compile it in Qt Creator, but when I run it it crashes as soon as I click on “select files” (or “select directory”). Any tips? Below is the terminal output. Thank you very much.

Starting /home/ocirne94/filmulator/filmulator-gui/build-filmulator-gui-Release-Debug/filmulator-gui...
QML debugging is enabled. Only use this in a safe environment.
dbSetup old version: 8
file:///home/ocirne94/filmulator/filmulator-gui/build-filmulator-gui-Release-Debug/qml/filmulator-gui/gui_components/ToolSlider.qml:78:5: QML SlipperySlider: Binding loop detected for property ""
file:///home/ocirne94/filmulator/filmulator-gui/build-filmulator-gui-Release-Debug/qml/filmulator-gui/gui_components/ToolSlider.qml:78:5: QML SlipperySlider: Binding loop detected for property ""
FilmImageProvider::requestImage Here?
imagePipeline.cpp: Opening 
load start:1.7e-05
imread: Could not read input file!
Could not open image ; Exiting...
Request time: 0.025438 seconds
organize row count: 0
m_rowcount1: 1
m_rowcount: 1
m_rowcount1: 1
file:///home/ocirne94/filmulator/filmulator-gui/build-filmulator-gui-Release-Debug/qml/filmulator-gui/gui_components/ToolRadioButton.qml:36: Error: Function.prototype.connect: target is not a function
file:///home/ocirne94/filmulator/filmulator-gui/build-filmulator-gui-Release-Debug/qml/filmulator-gui/gui_components/ToolRadioButton.qml:36: Error: Function.prototype.connect: target is not a function
file:///home/ocirne94/filmulator/filmulator-gui/build-filmulator-gui-Release-Debug/qml/filmulator-gui/Edit.qml:51:17: QML Image: Failed to get image from provider: image://filmy/000000
QWidget: Cannot create a QWidget without QApplication
The program has unexpectedly finished.
/home/ocirne94/filmulator/filmulator-gui/build-filmulator-gui-Release-Debug/filmulator-gui crashed

I’m not at my desktop at the moment, but I think I know the problem. I’ll push something that should fix it tonight.

As an aside, what version of Qt do you have? In a newer version it might have gotten stricter on something that it let slide in the version I have installed (5.5 still, iirc).

Okay, now that I’m back at my computer.

It seems as per the documentation that the file dialog is supposed to look for a platform-native file dialog, then fall back to a Qt Widgets file dialog if it can’t do that, and then finally fall back to a QML implementation.

At this commit I removed stuff needed for Qt Widgets, thinking it wasn’t needed; apparently it doesn’t properly fail there.

I’ve always had a native file dialog available, so I never noticed this regression; what distro/desktop environment are you on that doesn’t provide one?

In any case, the latest dev branch of Filmulator should be good to go for you.

I use Kubuntu 16.04.1 with Qt 5.5.1 from the official packages. I’ll try the dev branch and report. Thank you!

Ok, I’ve tested the dev branch and it works. Sweet!

I’ll merge it into master then.