Crashing waves and weeping rocks

A busier shot captured this weekend in Gloucester, Massachusetts - Looking back, I wish I had turned the camera ~5 degrees more to the left, but it can’t be helped now. I was hoping someone more skilled than I could bring out a little more contrast on the water droplets in the air without losing the tonality on the rock in the left side of the foreground
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

P1001020.RW2 (23.1 MB)

6 Likes

My attempt:

Uploading: P1001020.RW2.xmp…

1 Like

P1001020.RW2.xmp (14.3 KB)

3 Likes

A very quick try in GIMP.

RT5.8 dev

P1001020.jpg.out.pp3 (19.5 KB)

4 Likes

ART 1.13 P1001020.jpg.out.arp (17.5 KB)

1 Like

Second thoughts! A slight increase in saturation for the water.

RawTherapee 5.8 Development + Krita 5.0.2 Alpha

1 Like

My version…

Darktable: 3.9.0~git24.477bc5c41a-1

P1001020_01.RW2.xmp (15.2 KB)

1 Like

P1001020.RW2.xmp (17.9 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.8.1

P1001020_01.RW2.xmp (13.8 KB)

1 Like

Nice picture !
Darktable with filmic v6:

P1001020.RW2.xmp (39.3 KB)

Gimp (result on pixls and my screen is a bit bluish)

2 Likes

Another version…

P1001020_02.RW2.xmp (24.8 KB)

3 Likes

I like the emphasis on the shadow under the wave in the background, it draws the eye without feeling overdone. The crop is probably for the best, I knew from the start the shadows in the foreground rock would be a huge pain but didn’t think I could expose any higher without clipping the highlights

1 Like

My own best attempt (the one posted above was the out of camera JPEG). I cheated a lot in the foreground - I had a few handheld shots taken right at the same time, in order to try and catch a good wave at the right moment. Some of them had water running off the underexposed side of the problem rock, and I tried to steal those areas and composite them into the one I posted to try and get some texture back/ hide the clipped shadows. It’s a little unrealistic because a wave shouldn’t hit the front rock at the same time water runs off it, but it was the only way I could think of to try and recover something decent there.
Made with GIMP and DT

Nice one @condor700 !

In my opinion, the stone and foamed water in the foreground play an important role here. Also the blue reflection of the sky in combination with brown-green water make an interesting color play in the background.

P1001020_02.RW2.xmp (34,6 KB)

3 Likes

My attempt with dt 3.8.1

I am missing the ability to set the fulcrum in the local contrast module (when selecting another blend mode). I guess they have changed the module.

PS - The darktable 3.8 documentation does not seem to me to mention any of these modes, at all. What am I missing? https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/3.8/en/darktable_user_manual.pdf Section 8.2.44 “local contrast”

P1001020.RW2.xmp (7.0 KB)

Which set of blend modes are you using the scene or display ones?? I suspect you are on lab or display rgb not scene…use the hamburger settings icon to change it… Also not every blend mode support it…mostly the math bases ones…

1 Like

Nope, scene. Unless I pressed the wrong button. I’ll double check…

You are correct, somehow I had pressed the LAB menu item. I had certainly intended to select “RGB (scene)”

Sorry