Crashing waves and weeping rocks

ART 1.13 P1001020.jpg.out.arp (17.5 KB)

1 Like

Second thoughts! A slight increase in saturation for the water.

RawTherapee 5.8 Development + Krita 5.0.2 Alpha

1 Like

My version…

Darktable: 3.9.0~git24.477bc5c41a-1

P1001020_01.RW2.xmp (15.2 KB)

1 Like

P1001020.RW2.xmp (17.9 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.8.1

P1001020_01.RW2.xmp (13.8 KB)

1 Like

Nice picture !
Darktable with filmic v6:

P1001020.RW2.xmp (39.3 KB)

Gimp (result on pixls and my screen is a bit bluish)

2 Likes

Another version…

P1001020_02.RW2.xmp (24.8 KB)

3 Likes

I like the emphasis on the shadow under the wave in the background, it draws the eye without feeling overdone. The crop is probably for the best, I knew from the start the shadows in the foreground rock would be a huge pain but didn’t think I could expose any higher without clipping the highlights

1 Like

My own best attempt (the one posted above was the out of camera JPEG). I cheated a lot in the foreground - I had a few handheld shots taken right at the same time, in order to try and catch a good wave at the right moment. Some of them had water running off the underexposed side of the problem rock, and I tried to steal those areas and composite them into the one I posted to try and get some texture back/ hide the clipped shadows. It’s a little unrealistic because a wave shouldn’t hit the front rock at the same time water runs off it, but it was the only way I could think of to try and recover something decent there.
Made with GIMP and DT

Nice one @condor700 !

In my opinion, the stone and foamed water in the foreground play an important role here. Also the blue reflection of the sky in combination with brown-green water make an interesting color play in the background.

P1001020_02.RW2.xmp (34,6 KB)

3 Likes

My attempt with dt 3.8.1

I am missing the ability to set the fulcrum in the local contrast module (when selecting another blend mode). I guess they have changed the module.

PS - The darktable 3.8 documentation does not seem to me to mention any of these modes, at all. What am I missing? https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/3.8/en/darktable_user_manual.pdf Section 8.2.44 “local contrast”

P1001020.RW2.xmp (7.0 KB)

Which set of blend modes are you using the scene or display ones?? I suspect you are on lab or display rgb not scene…use the hamburger settings icon to change it… Also not every blend mode support it…mostly the math bases ones…

1 Like

Nope, scene. Unless I pressed the wrong button. I’ll double check…

You are correct, somehow I had pressed the LAB menu item. I had certainly intended to select “RGB (scene)”

Sorry

Ok, my re-attempt with the local contrast settings as I had intended them. dt3.8.1

P1001020.RW2.xmp (7.8 KB)

This one looks better. Probably a good idea to include the old one in your post for context/comparison.

1 Like

Sorry, it is gone.

Later - It is back. @afre showed me that I could “undelete” the post.

I like this crop.

Indeed, calm within the spray.