Creating a Color Matching border -ie: Mimic The Cricut Design Space Print Bleed

Hello. I am trying to mimic the built in “Bleed” function that you can select in “Cricut Design Space” when you print your design prior to cutting it out on the Cricut machine. The Cricut software actually extends the edges of your object about 1/16 on an inch, all around, so that when the blade cuts out the objects there is NO white color showing after the cut. The “Bleed” that Cricut applies in NOT a solid color border, it actually has every color present at the edge of your object. I know how to add a solid color border but this NOT what I want to do. I found a video where a person actually mimics the “Cricut Bleed” function by manually adding a color matching “Bleed” to the object but they use “Photoshop”. I borrowed a friend’s PC with PS and her technique worked very well. The link below on “Youtube” that shows the person adding the manual “Bleed” in preparation for cutting a larger than normal object on a Cricut machine. If anyone could review the video and shed some light on how to possibly accomplish the same thing using GIMP? I would greatly appreciate the help.

It all depends on your OS, which one? If linux or Windows then it is fairly easy using the resynthesizer + heal-transparency plug-ins.

I would just add a slightly scaled up version of the layer under the original layer, with some slight blur if needed.

Packing in for the time being, so this is how I might make the bleed margin.

Need the Resynthesizer plugins
Get a Windows version here, the partha version is best: Resynthisizer Heal Selection Runtime Error

Get a linux version here, the 2.03 zip: Gimp 2.10, Resynthesizer, Linux

Thank you Rich2005. This is exactly what I needed. I spent so much time trying different things to no avail. I have a resynthesizer plug in but its is quite old. Is there anyway to determine if mine plug in is the version that you mention.

I will try this immediately. This will allow me to print a higher resolution image and then cut it out on my Cricut machine.

Truly greatful for your help.