Creating and Modifying ICC profiles to match "Print Density"

I started on a FOSS solution to invert color negatives sometime ago here: Developing a FOSS solution for inverting negatives

I have found the DPX/Cineon methodology/algorithm, developed by Kodak, and used for many year in the cinema to be a good model, I developed a prototype using this approach that is giving me better results than when I first started.

But I would now like to use the capabilities of ICC to further refine the process. I understand some of the concepts of what an ICC can contain, and I have used iccToXml to have a look at some ICC profiles.

I have been reading Digital Color Management Encoding Solutions by Giorgianna and Madden, and I would like to attempt to calibrate my scanner and also by DSLR to match the “Print Density” of the Photographic stock used traditional negative/positive color paper (RA-4),

In summary what I would like to do is match the spectral response of positive photographic paper, instead of the eye. The cyan former layer of a colour negative blocks longer wave length light than would be ideal for human, as the red sensitive layer of the paper is more sensitive to these longer wavelengths than the eye is. This could be described at the “Print Density” as opposed to Status-M or Status-A which are closer to the Human Eye Response.

I would like to use FOSS tools if possible, and looking for guidance in terms of tools to use, or any techniques?

Would DCamProf or arglylCMS be good tools to invest time in etc?

1 Like

Good morning, Laurence,

Yes, I can visualize what you are after – however, perhaps you could arrive at the solution in other ways?

First of all, I am not an expert in these matters. The real Forum Profile in ICC matters is Elle Stone, who has written very much about monitor profiles (both here and on her own site). Printer profiling, however, seems to be a somewhat different area.

I started experimenting with profiles a few years ago, using a Spyder 3 Elite. When I bought my first 6-color printer, I felt I needed a better tool, so I obtained a ColorMunki Photo, which answers to my needs (at least so far).

I have used the Argyll s/w and consider it very good for monitor as well as for printer profiling (at least if you just have a 4-colour printer [grumpf!]). I am uncertain whether DCamProf can handle anything but camera/scanner profiling, i.e. no displays, no printers. So it seems as if Argyll is the way to go.

However, using DCamProf, it seems possible to match gloss as well. See more here LUDD - Homepage closed

Now, the question is if you really need a special printer ICC profile or not. Imagine that you already have a good, calibrated/profiled colour management chain Camera|Scanner - Monitor - Printer. Would it not suffice to make special Monitor profiles, taking care of your needs, and then ship the image to the printer “as is/do not touch”?

And if that would solve your wishes - why not use HaldCLUTs instead, which sound a lot easier to manipulate?

Have fun!
Colourfully Yours,
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Yes that is what I have been doing/attempting… From the point when I started, when I essentially knew nothing about digital processing, and the science of colour negative-positive film photography. Its the later that makes it a little more complex as there is much less in the public domain on actual calibration techniques. Plenty of secrets of that I am sure…

Its the use of IT8 targets, that I most interested in but I don’t fully understand enough about them to perhaps adapt them to the task at hand. So learning how to use DCamProf and Argyll is probably not a waste of effort in any case.

HaldCLUTs may also be helpful too.

In case you have not found this:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden