Crop in default processing profiles

Hi,

Since the arrival of the dynamic profiles feature in RT, I use it quite extensively to fine tune my defaults profiles. This is a VERY nice feature (profiles for different cameras, different distortion correction for my X20 that have no LCP profile, different NR levels… this is really a cool feature).

But there is something I cannot achieve: when playing with the raw files from my Fuji X20. The raw files have a 4:3 ratio. I really dislike it and it’s not in line with all my other cameras and with the ratio I use for print. I would like to add a default auto-crop to a 3:2 ratio on my processing profiles.

If I had only landscape pictures, this would be fine. But I fail to make it automatic because of the portrait pictures.

I tried to put this in my profile:

[Crop]
Enabled=true
FixedRatio=true
Ratio=3:2
Orientation=As Image
Guide=Rule of thirds

I hoped it would calculate the crop automatically just like when doing this from the RT gui, but it fails. And if I put the X/Y/W/H values, it obviously do not play nice with portrait pictures too. Do you have any tip to achieve this besides using RTProfileSelector ? exif orientation is not available to Dynamic processing profiles.

Thanks !

1 Like

Personally, if I wanted to crop all my images to a given aspect ratio, I would want to look at each one of them and choose the best part of the image to keep within the retained portion of the image. I wouldn’t want the same arbitrary portion of each image to be included. I understand your desire for a given aspect ratio, but it seems to me that always picking the same portion of every image is an opportunity lost. Just my humble opinion, and I understand if you disagree.

1 Like

Yes but no :wink:

The X20 is already configured to capture with a 3:2 ratio, so the viewfinder already show a 3:2 ratio when shooting. The jpeg file has this 3:2 ratio, but the raw remains 4:3. I shoot raw + jpeg, and I want to have the same crop in raw than for the jpeg by default, for my quick export batch queue. Having this crop by default does not forbid to change it afterwards, but since the viewfinder was cropped too during the shooting, I’m 99% not interested in what is outside this crop.

1 Like

Wow, @guilc, that’s very interesting. I’ve never heard of anything like that before. It almost sounds like they had an oversupply of sensors lying around and decided to put them in a camera that was otherwise configured for a different aspect ratio.

I wonder if there are any other camera models out there with the same characteristics.

A quick web search tells us that the user can select one of the following aspect ratios: 1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9. Personally, I would take advantage of all of the available pixels (4000 x 3000) but that is just me.

1 Like

Yes indeed, this is selectable and affect only the viewfinder and the JPEG. The raw always remains 4:3.

I really dislike this ratio so want to crop by default to what was seen during the shot (which is the 3:2 center part). That is that simple.

So please let’s stay on topic which is crop orientation un default profile. Thank’s !

If you want to crop always to the centre part, have a look at camconst.json :wink:

Hi @guilc, I think currently the only workaround is to use a custom profile builder. Other people were asking for an extension of the Dynamic profile rules so that you could add custom exif tags to match. Although I do agree that this would be a nice feature to have, unfortunately I don’t know of anyone working on this at the moment… (but patches are always welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks !

I did not thought about the camconst.json stuff indeed. will give a try !

So that was hard to get the correct numbers for camconst raw_crop, I’m a bit lost between “raw size”, “raw full size”, and the way how raw_crop works looks a bit strange, especially the Width and height I had to put.

But anyway, with this, I can achieve having the raw at 4018x2678 (jpeg OOC are 4000x2664) which is perfectly fine. Thanks!

$ cat .config/RawTherapee/camconst.json 
{"camera_constants": [
    { 
        "make_model": "FUJIFILM X20",
        // 3:2 crop
        "raw_crop": [ 0, 160, 4096, 2692 ]
    }
]}

For the record:

$ exiftool data/photos/2017/2017-05-06\ -\ Echarpe\ portage/20170506_120228_dscf3142.raf | grep Raw
Raw Image Full Size             : 4096x3012
Raw Exposure Bias               : -0.6
Raw Image Width                 : 4032
Raw Image Height                : 3012
Raw Image Full Width            : 4096
Raw Image Full Height           : 3012
1 Like