Crop tool in GIMP 2.9

Does anyone else have a problem using the crop tool in GIMP 2.9? When I use it, it has a life of its own. Sometimes it will crop the photo whilst trying resizing the photo or simply stop cropping. I have installed various versions of GIMP 2.9 but the problem persists, so much so that I crop in darktable instead. I can’t see this problem reported elsewhere and wonder what I’m doing wrong.

In Gimp 2.9.5 on Xubuntu it works as expected.

Seems to work just fine for me, also.

Same here. Works fine. I’m using GIMP 2.9.5 on Ubuntu Studio.

This is one reason I rarely actually use the Crop tool directly, and rather make rectangle selections that I’ll crop to later.

I noticed the tool tends to act oddly from a UX perspective for me. If you choose the tool, and draw an area to crop on the image, you need to be careful. Clicking (or pressing enter) once again anywhere inside the crop area will apply the crop:

This includes (single) clicking on the crop edges to resize it! You need to click and drag those areas to resize them, and avoid making a single-click.

Clicking anywhere outside the crop area will reset the crop, or start a new crop area selection.

Thank you, I was a little afraid of this tool, but didn’t figure out this exact reason!

I found the reason for the strange behaviour; I needed a new mouse! Crop tool works fine now, so problem solved. Odd that the crop tool in darktable wasn’t affected by the faulty mouse action.

3 Likes