.cube LUT lines number not correct error?

No sure why I’m getting this error?

Lut made with 3D LUT creator. Had to zip to meet upload requirements.

kjhj.zip (2.1 MB)

Presumably because your file contains 271,908 lines?
You specify LUT_3D_SIZE 64
which evaluates to a table of 262,144 lines
(plus a few for the header).

How many lines did your cube contain before you zipped it? Run

wc kjhj.cube

and note the first figure reported.

Be careful when running wc (-l) on this file and blindly trusting the amount of lines given.

$ grep "^#" kjhj.cube | wc -l
$ grep -v "^#" kjhj.cube | wc -l

There are a lot of commented out lines (first grep), but even if you dismiss those (second grep) you have too many lines (262147 vs 262144).

BTW: I’m not sure how the blank line and the 2 header lines are handled.

They count as 3 in the total file, but do not belong to the table.

@PhilipB the bottom chunk of your .cube file consists of a very large base64 encoded part.
Wonder who/what put it there?

The file has negative values in the table, is that normal?

The number of lines seems to be correct (262,144)

The blob is indeed strange but as each line are commented that should not be a problem.

The negative values are incorrect but this is not what the error message says. A value above 1.0 is also visible here below. This is incorrect too. At least the module is designed for values belonging to [0,1].

I’ll try to understand what happens.

Sorry guys, i dont have great answers for you. I dont know about LUTs on the tech level you are discussing them. Just how to make/apply them.

This LUT was generated by 3D LUT creator. A matrix + curves correction baked to the LUT.

Ill try some more testing tonight.

Removing negative values (just removing the ‘-’) solves the issue.
Then the only issue here is not to get the right error message.

1 Like

The module calculation accepts values which are out of range [0,1].
I’ll issue a PR (#4657) where those values are accepted. Only a warning message will be shown, something like:

[lut3d] warning - 18267 out of range [0,1] values

Then the output of the module may itself be out of range (which is not always an issue depending on the following module).
Please also remember that the input image values are clipped inside [0,1].

1 Like

So does that mean there is something I can do currently to get these .cube LUTs working in Dark table?

With the current version, only LUT with values in range [0,1] work.
Normally the fix will come with dt 3.2, maybe with 3.0.2 if @Pascal_Obry thinks that’s ok.

Okay, well ill look forward to it in an upcoming release (3.0.2. hopefully… :crossed_fingers:)

Thanks for looking at the issue.

Resolved in 3.0.2.

Thanks!!!

May have spoken too soon… now on exporting images (50 in this bunch), i get a similar error. Then only a few of the images actual export, and the border of the DT window starts flashing and I get a could not export file error. A few times DT had to be restarted. After trying a number of times still can’t get them all to export without the process mysteriously stopping. I try again and some of the files export, it doesn’t seem to choke on a particular image. Just seems to randomly stop working.

Imgur

More problems associated with this issue… now sometimes the exported TIF’s dont match the edited raw.

They look much lighter, like there is a gamma issue or something.

Morning, @PhilipB,

Did you investigate the error msg you got?

cube lut 3132 out of range values [0,1]

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I wouldn’t know how to go about doing that…

What should I look at?

a) From where did you obtain that cube?
b) Make a copy of that cube, change the name of the copy to xxx.cube.txt
and send it to me (i.e. drag it into your reply), so I can have a look with my own fingers :slight_smile:

The LUT was generated using 3d LUT creator. It’s a utility kind of LUT to match perfectly the luminosity and colour of a color checker from a reference photo.

Ill attach it here as requested.

D80_8847 DT.cube.txt (7.3 MB)

Thanks for taking a look! PS. The LUT works perfectly in terms of getting the desired result on the screen.