current OSX Build

Thanks.
I have written a small program using fswatch and libheif which watches a whole directory tree and when a new jpg or png file is added it will convert it to heic. If some one is interested can share it.

new build current master darktable-3.5.0+543~g54e7e09eb.dmg
theres’s a database update included so don’t forget a backup first - there’s no way back…

new build current master darktable-3.5.0+693~g5d34b0fa5.dmg
theres’s a database update included so don’t forget a backup first - there’s no way back…

1 Like

What is the performance of M1 chip based Mac’s with dark table?

I haven’t heard that anyone has made a native arm build yet.

Have a look here

When I said I managed to build and run DT on Big Sur/Xcode 12.3, that was on an intel mac, not an M1 mac

being able to build with XCode12.3 and sdk 11.1 is just the prerequisite to build for M1. But the used stack of libraries provided by macports must be supporting M1 or ported first.

Thanks for clarifying, i thought this was a m1 mac.

I was thinking of buying the M1 Mac mini but will wait till DT is ported as it is my most used program.

What are the chances and timeframe for macport library porting for M1?

As far as i know there’s no developer using a M1 Mac - but two users are able to compile on a m1.
But this depends on ported macports packages, so you better look there for a timeline …

Quick question: what are the differences/advantages (if any) between using the standard MacOs dmg package downloadable from the darktable website, and building the package from source according to the instructions on darktable/BUILD.txt at master · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub ?

I am asking this because dt crashes on my MacBook Pro 13 2020 (Intel) when using the filmic/reconstruction tab on Big Sur, and I may try to compile it myself if it solves the problem…

thanks for any comments

Compiling yourself means among other things that you might experience fixes that are in master and not yet in official release.

you can ditch the “deployment target 10.7” stuff and also some of the patches if you build just for your system. Better use Xcode12 commandline tools with sdk 10.15 even for big sur since there seems to be an issue with sdk 11.1

Thank you for your reply! It seems a bit excessive to me though (maybe I’m wrong) to change macports.conf and use some other (a little obscure) patches and mods if one is also relying heavily macports for other software, just to do a standard build. It would be nice to have a separate, much simpler, instruction page for building dt just for one’s own system, which I guess is what the great majority of users would be interested in. But I do understand that developers’ time is limited and they are already doing a tremendous job, which I appreciate very much.

I did not understand whether the standard dmg downloadable from dt website is routinely updated to get the latest fixes or that would be precisely the advantage of building the ports from the sources. Also, do you think that building from source would improve performance, or not really?

I haven’t tested this. I‘m pretty sure, tweaking the opencl settings is an easier way to improve performance. Building yourself is useful if you want to get rid of some annoying issues in the distributed 3.4 package.

1 Like

new build current master + OSX scrolling improvement + vectorscope + experimental diffusion module: darktable-3.5.0+918~gc35effa12.dmg
built with sdk 10.15
be aware there’s stuff that won’t be in 3.4.1 so don’t forget a backup first - there’s no way back…

Thanks for the update. What is the ‘OSX scrolling improvement’?

Lee

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/pull/7904

Many of the preferences have vanish e.g the import module is only showing

while importing there is no option for adding the file types to import or tagging