current OSX Build

current 3.8.x branch + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet
darktable-3.8.0+35~gc7dfebcac.dmg
For a list of changes see https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/commits/darktable-3.8.x

this build requires at least osx 10.15; donā€™t forget to backup ā€¦

1 Like

Sorry if I missed it - but is there a sticky somewhere that explains specific Mac folders/files to back up before an update? I do regular carbon copy clones of my external drives and Time Machine for the internal. Hopefully that has me covered.

Iā€™m on M1 Mac Mini running Monterey. Iā€™m new to DT, but the only thing I noticed missing going from 3.6 to 3.8 (from the standard compiled download) was my paper/printer profiles. And that was really all I noticed - easy enough to create a new /color/out folder and put the profiles back. Are there other things I should be checking or worried about losing?

The only odd behavior on 3.8 has been that each time I open the program - it crashes before it even gets started. Reopen/report/etc window pops up. Hit reopen button and it launches every time. Figured it might be worth a shot trying one of these newer compiles builds posted here.

Thanks for any guidance.

Scott

you need to backup the ~/.config/darktable directory and as well the xmp files in your pictures folders since these might be affected from updated modules.
Since the 3.8.x branch wonā€™t get functional or database updates thereā€˜s just a risk thats bugfixes contains bugs itself and breaks edits done with the development build ā€¦

Regarding the crash: Do you have midi or gamepad devices attached?

If the crash also occurs with this development build, you can run darktable via a debugger if you have xcode installed. Then youā€˜ll get precise information what exactly fails and this can be used to file an issue. Unfortunately the debugger doesnā€™t work with the codesigned release package.

Thanks so much for the help. Backed up that config folder and have the XMP in the CCC external drive backup.

I do not have any external midi/control devices hooked up. Upon startup, I do notice a smaller window open briefly (in upper left of screen) before the main window opens. Happens so fast that I canā€™t really see what it is. Appears to be an empty window. Not sure what that is.

I may give one of these incremental builds a shot and see what happens. Iā€™m so new to DT that I wouldnā€™t really lose any important edits. Iā€™ve been spending most of my time experimenting with various modules/workflows and getting the tags/organization sorted.

Scott

current 3.8.x branch + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet + temporary fix for crash with some midi configurations
darktable-3.8.0+59~ge758e1366.dmg
For a list of changes see https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/commits/darktable-3.8.x

Thanks for the huge work: I am running an Intel based Mini and appreciate :+1:t3:
I will update my standard 3.8 version to @MStraeten 's one immediatly!

darktable-3.8.0+89~g48e058cf5.dmg

2 Likes

darktable-3.8.0+116~gdb1e5fa4a.dmg

2 Likes

v116 is running fine on both MBA and Mac Mini (Big Sur) :+1:t3:

1 Like

darktable-3.8.0+142~g20982aac1.dmg*

*had to update the package cause a lensfun update messed up the RF additions

2 Likes

darktable-3.8.0+154~g906ac3e50.dmg

1 Like

after 3.8.1 is in the field itā€™s time for the upcoming 4.0
current master + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet
darktable-3.9.0+411~ga3875bd56.dmg
For a list of changes see Pulse Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub

1 Like

darktable-3.9.0+450~gbe7bf8ad5.dmg

1 Like

darktable-3.9.0+556~g70f65c0ff.dmg

1 Like

Thank you for the new build. I just run a quick test on iMac OS 11.5.1 of the new different settings for resources.
First observation was that active OpenCL support and openCL scheduling were grey and they could not be activated. However all become normal after running the little script that you recommended some time ago. For scheduling I use very fast GPU.

Second observation, the speed to export my reference NEF photo did not change with the different settings of darktable resources, and if any, it was a little faster with small: 20,4 sec vs 21,2 sec (unrestricted), and 20,8 sec (reference).

For the previous build the time was 20,2 sec.

In darktablerc I have

opencl=TRUE
opencl_async_pixelpipe=false
opencl_avoid_atomics=false
opencl_checksum=4221192444
opencl_device_priority=/0,/!0,/0,/0,
opencl_library=
opencl_mandatory_timeout=200
opencl_memory_headroom=400
opencl_memory_requirement=768
opencl_micro_nap=1000
opencl_number_event_handles=25
opencl_scheduling_profile=very fast GPU
opencl_size_roundup=16
opencl_synch_cache=active module
opencl_use_cpu_devices=false
opencl_use_pinned_memory=false

Are any of those parameters that have to be modify to fully activate the new settings?

Once again that for these builds

webp export is not writing metadata. Is this a bug or it is not implemented

Am I the only one having Open CL issues with 3.8.1 ? With both official 3.8.1 and 3.9.0+556 ?
3.8.0 was running just fine.
See [solved] darktable 3.8.1 for macOS seems to be missing OpenCL kernel files - #8 by homer3018

maybe, maybe not - at least itā€™s fine on my mac. And according to GitHub issues opencl seems to be fine in general (if not then there were plenty of issues on that)
Did you change something in your darktablerc opencl settings?
You might rename your .config/darktable directory to run darktable -d opencl with default settings.

Problem solved, thanks :slight_smile:
Not understanding why it was the way it was, but it is working properly now :slight_smile:

Actually it is writing the metadata but when I open the file in Preview and inspect it, it didnā€™t show the metadata like other formats but exiftools and other image viewers were showing the metadata, so the bug is in Preview app.