current OSX Build

current 3.8.x branch + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet
darktable-3.8.0+16~gafe76d1cc.dmg
For a list of changes see https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/commits/darktable-3.8.x

this build requires at least osx 10.15; don’t forget to backup …

1 Like

I managed to compile successfully on my MPB M1 using the build.sh found in the main directory and Homebrew

Prior to this I had to install the following package. This was not obvious from the start, so I compiled and install missing package, each time the build broke :slight_smile:

brew install adwaita-icon-theme cmake desktop-file-utils exiv2 gettext git glib gmic gphoto2 graphicsmagick gtk+3 gtk-mac-integration icu4c intltool iso-codes json-glib jsonschema lensfun libavif libheif librsvg libsecret libsoup@2 little-cms2 lua libomp ninja openexr openjpeg osm-gps-map portmidi pugixml sdl2 cmocka curl perl jpeg llvm po4a

By default, darktable will be installed in /opt. /opt directory is owned by root:admin. To change the install directory, use the argument --prefix

./build.sh --prefix /User/<yourUsername>

If you still want to install in the default /opt, I suggest you build with argument --sudo

./build.sh --sudo

The script will print a command to install dt:
sudo cmake --build "<some directory>/darktable/build" --target install -- -j8

Once installed, you can start darktable from shell:

/opt/darktable/bin/darktable

Or add /opt/darktable/bin to your $PATH in ~/.zprofile

export PATH="/opt/darktable/bin:$PATH"

The first time I run the command, the window displayed outside the screen. I had to open Mission Control (F3) to find it and move it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Next step: building the .app bundle.

gtk-mac-bundler-0.7.4 creates a packaging/macos/darktable.bundle file
But lot of file are missing or in other paths…

1 Like

Congrats on a successful Mac M1 Build. Is that a native Apple Silicon build or is it still Intel running in Rosetta?

My MBP has an Apple Silicon. I’m not sure it can compile Intel code. From what I see from the build.sh, and the github issue, the compilation is for ARM (Apple Silicon).

After a little work I was able to compile darktable on my m1 with the help of @olivier instructions. Unfortunately, it does not run from the command prompt. Here are the error messages I got:

[dt_detect_cpu_features] Not implemented for this architecture.
[dt_detect_cpu_features] Please contribute a patch.
[dt_init] SSE2 instruction set is unavailable.
[dt_init] expect a LOT of functionality to be broken. you have been warned.

(process:50329): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 14:08:50.818: g_object_set: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed
[dt_detect_cpu_features] Not implemented for this architecture.
[dt_detect_cpu_features] Please contribute a patch.
[dt_codepaths_init] will be using experimental plain OpenMP SIMD codepath.
[dt_pthread_create] info: bumping pthread’s stacksize from 524288 to 2097152
UNSUPPORTED (log once): buildComputeProgram: cl2Metal failed

(darktable:50329): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 14:08:52.363: invalid cast from ‘GtkMenuBar’ to ‘GtkWindow’

(darktable:50329): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:08:52.363: gtk_window_add_accel_group: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)’ failed
[iop_lens]: could not load lensfun database in `/opt/darktable/share/lensfun/version_2’!
[dt_action_locate] action ‘map_settings’ doesn’t exist
[dt_shortcuts_load] action path ‘lib/map_settings/thumbnail display’ not found
[dt_action_locate] action ‘map_settings’ doesn’t exist
[dt_shortcuts_load] action path ‘lib/map_settings/filtered images’ not found
[dt_action_locate] action ‘map’ doesn’t exist
[dt_shortcuts_load] action path ‘views/map/redo’ not found
[dt_action_locate] action ‘map’ doesn’t exist
[dt_shortcuts_load] action path ‘views/map/undo’ not found

(darktable:50329): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:09:24.702: Could not find the icon ‘user-home-symbolic-ltr’. The ‘hicolor’ theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

(darktable:50329): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 14:09:24.715: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
zsh: trace trap /opt/darktable/bin/darktable

There are known issues with homebrew builds. Better discuss that in an separate thread.

1 Like

Sure. I tried Macports and also had some challenges. Maybe I will go back and try that again too.

darktable-3.8.0+35~gc7dfebcac.dmg
For a list of changes see https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/commits/darktable-3.8.x

1 Like

Sorry if I missed it - but is there a sticky somewhere that explains specific Mac folders/files to back up before an update? I do regular carbon copy clones of my external drives and Time Machine for the internal. Hopefully that has me covered.

I’m on M1 Mac Mini running Monterey. I’m new to DT, but the only thing I noticed missing going from 3.6 to 3.8 (from the standard compiled download) was my paper/printer profiles. And that was really all I noticed - easy enough to create a new /color/out folder and put the profiles back. Are there other things I should be checking or worried about losing?

The only odd behavior on 3.8 has been that each time I open the program - it crashes before it even gets started. Reopen/report/etc window pops up. Hit reopen button and it launches every time. Figured it might be worth a shot trying one of these newer compiles builds posted here.

Thanks for any guidance.

Scott

you need to backup the ~/.config/darktable directory and as well the xmp files in your pictures folders since these might be affected from updated modules.
Since the 3.8.x branch won’t get functional or database updates there‘s just a risk thats bugfixes contains bugs itself and breaks edits done with the development build …

Regarding the crash: Do you have midi or gamepad devices attached?

If the crash also occurs with this development build, you can run darktable via a debugger if you have xcode installed. Then you‘ll get precise information what exactly fails and this can be used to file an issue. Unfortunately the debugger doesn’t work with the codesigned release package.

Thanks so much for the help. Backed up that config folder and have the XMP in the CCC external drive backup.

I do not have any external midi/control devices hooked up. Upon startup, I do notice a smaller window open briefly (in upper left of screen) before the main window opens. Happens so fast that I can’t really see what it is. Appears to be an empty window. Not sure what that is.

I may give one of these incremental builds a shot and see what happens. I’m so new to DT that I wouldn’t really lose any important edits. I’ve been spending most of my time experimenting with various modules/workflows and getting the tags/organization sorted.

Scott

current 3.8.x branch + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet + temporary fix for crash with some midi configurations
darktable-3.8.0+59~ge758e1366.dmg

Thanks for the huge work: I am running an Intel based Mini and appreciate :+1:t3:
I will update my standard 3.8 version to @MStraeten 's one immediatly!

darktable-3.8.0+89~g48e058cf5.dmg

2 Likes

darktable-3.8.0+116~gdb1e5fa4a.dmg

2 Likes

v116 is running fine on both MBA and Mac Mini (Big Sur) :+1:t3:

1 Like

darktable-3.8.0+142~g20982aac1.dmg*

*had to update the package cause a lensfun update messed up the RF additions

2 Likes

darktable-3.8.0+154~g906ac3e50.dmg

1 Like

after 3.8.1 is in the field it’s time for the upcoming 4.0
current master + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet
darktable-3.9.0+411~ga3875bd56.dmg
For a list of changes see Pulse · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like

current master + a couple of RF lensfun data from: Kameratrollet
darktable-3.9.0+450~gbe7bf8ad5.dmg
For a list of changes see Pulse · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like