Curve from Canon camera

Hi,

I’d like to contribute tone curve I’ve created that mimics original Canon standard curve. You can use it both with standard mode and film-like, then you will get lightroom look.
Feel free to use it, I will be glad if it’s included in RT build.

Here is screen from curve preview:
dpp_curves_curve_preview

Screenshot from RT:

Screenshot from C:

Curve file:
5d2.rtc (157 Bytes)

Curve file matching jpg:
5d2_jpg.rtc (157 Bytes)

My workflow profile using this curve:
Canon_01.pp3 (11.4 KB)

Updated profile for 5.4-dev:
Canon_01.pp3 (10.9 KB)

Best regs,

Hey

What is “C”?

The standard Adobe Camera Raw curve is used in our bundled DCP files, and you can get it from:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Color_Management#Use_DCP.27s_Tone_Curve
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Exposure#Tone_Curves

This is Canon curve, based on 5dII curve. I’ve made it to mimic original Canon “look”. It’s more contrasty then Adobe one. My profile also contains +0.5 EV exposure compensation to match DPP in terms of exposure.

Is your curve very different from that one can obtain using Auto-Matched Tone Curve?
It should, as its name implies, match the “Canon look” as extracted from the embedded thumbnail.

Actually I haven’t checked as I always feel better when I set everything myself. I was aiming for consistent results and it does the job, although even results from DPP differ a bit from internal camera jpeg.

I used to, at times, import a custom canon curve until RT gained the Auto-Matched Tone Curve.

1 Like

I believe that the DPP results can be slightly different than the internal camera preview image, but my eyes can’t see the difference. I’ll see if I can see the difference between Canon standard style, this new curve and the auto-matched curve.

(The auto-matched curve is also inviting the camera user to change old habits and start using in-camera styles. I’m only using standard and sometimes neutral Canon style, the later when I want a more useful RGB histogram. I still haven’t decided whether to use the auto-matched feature by default in RT. Sorry, slightly off.)

1 Like

Morning!

Good point about the in-camera curves.
But I fail to understand why the neutral Canon style
would yield a “more useful RGB histogram” .

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

If you compare to internal jpeg you will notice differences in deep shadows. This is matter of DPP itself, it gives different result with srgb and adobergb color settings, also different with “in camera” standard profile and “selected” one - in terms of curve of course, not colors.
However, I see there’s slight difference between current 5.4 and 5.0 I used to made this curve so I’ve added curve matching jpeg and new profile for 5.4-dev version with 0.3 compensation (0.5 previously).
@Claes: neutral curve gives flatter highlights and neutral style is less saturated.

My impression is that there a loads of Canon curves depending on the camera settings, which you could play with after the shot using DPP (it depends on the version too). That said, every company strives to have a consistent unique look, some more than others. I find that the auto-matched curve is a good enough starting point for me.

I mean when using the histogram, displayed on the camera’s digital display. Canon’s Neutral style is far from RawTherapee’s profile of the same name, but applies less contrast and saturation than other styles, and should enable more accurate exposure control, and such. (I hope this makes some sense.)

Salut, Jacal!

It is a long time now since I used a Canon,
but I did not know that camera settings influenced
the in-camera histogram. Hm, wonder if it is the same
with Fuji X? Will experiment when I will find time.

What I do miss from the Canon days is Magic Lantern, though!!!

Have fun!
Claes en Lund, La Suède

Yes, the histogram matches the embedded preview jpeg. Magic Lantern, I believe, provides a raw histogram, but isn’t available for my camera model yet.

I wouldn’t know for your Fuji, but I think it is the same with most camera models.

Be well!

It’s the same for Fuji, the histogram is based on the jpeg data.