Custom backup directory

Would it be possible to set my own backup directory rather than root?

would I just need to adjust the mount point from: STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT="/media/storage" # Mount point of the storage device
to, say: STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT="/media/storage/backupdir" # Mount point of the storage device

Thanks

I haven’t tried it, but it should work. Feel free to try it yourself and report back. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Dmitri

1 Like

Set it up to use STORAGE_MOUNT_POINT="/media/storage/RX100m7"

doesn’t seem to work at all. Says backup complete instantly

If I set it back it appears to be working. No status on the screen just “working…”

Ah! That’s most likely because /media/storage/RX100m7 directory doesn’t exist. You might need to create it manually using the following commands:

sudo mkdir -p /media/storage/RX100m7
sudo chown -R pi:users /media/storage/RX100m7
sudo chmod -R 775 /media/storage/RX100m7
sudo setfacl -Rdm g:pi:rw /media/storage/RX100m7

I’ll see if I can add this to the backup script.

It did already exist on the backup SSD as it’s where I’ve been backing up to currently via copy/paste

It created a dated directory and then copied to there - the date reference directory matches the ID created on the SD Card so I see how that aspect works now at least

The directory must exist on the Raspberry Pi. And you have to create it before you connect a backup SSD.

Ah, it did exist on the SSD before I connected it to the RPi
Does the save go via the RPi first then?

Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you were asking. I’m afraid it’s currently not possible. Could I ask you to file an issue at Issues · dmpop/little-backup-box · GitHub? I’ll see if I can tweak the scripts to make that possible. Apologies for the confusion!

Thanks,
Dmitri

1 Like

Thank you, I have submitted issue 67 for this

Perfect! Thank you very much!

Has this been resolved? I am wanting to use an NVme drive to back up my photos too.

Unfortunately, it hasn’t. I don’t have time to work on Little Backup Box at the moment.

So if I have my pi boot from the nvme and the directory is on the there it will work.

No, because the issue is not fixed and I removed the current implementation of the internal back mode from Little Backup Box.