Custom hair/fur/texture brushes?

Along the lines of GIMP/PS. I know they don’t exist but would be wondrous for masking. Do people agree, and how hard would they be to build in?

I thought those were painting tools. How would they be used in masking?

When drawing a mask by hand, to refine edges…my main use case is manes and tails, which drive me nuts!

The easy way is to go Adobe and use their subject select, which is really pretty amazing now, but…

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in the Gimp those brushes paint independently of image content; that is, you want to paint an area, giving it ‘hair-like’ look. It does not detect hair and paint it some colour? (I’m really asking, I’ve never used texture brushes.)
If that is so, painting with a texture vs detecting hair are very different beasts.
Are you aware of darktable’s mask refinement features? Although they may not work well to catch individual stray hairs.
https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/3.8/en/darkroom/masking-and-blending/masks/refinement-controls/

Here’s a 5-part series of tutorial videos:

2 Likes

Yes, but when creating a mask layer in GIMP you often refine the edges by brushing over…I’m thinking the same might apply in dt. I may be being VERY stupid, it wouldn’t be the first time, sadly.

You can achive quite a lot using feathering options and mask contrast.

1 Like

To an extent. Paths with closely spaced points are good too…

Suspect this will rightly go nowhere…but if someone has a lightbulb moment…

You could post an example as a playraw.

1 Like

A simple, rough drawn mask with feathering:

Image is from this post:

2 Likes