Custom Sort in Digikam?

I am fairly new to Digikam and I have a question: Is it possible to make a collection of images in Digikam that can be used as a slide show with a customized sequence? (Not ordered by file name, date, or other meta data but with a sequence set by me.)

It seems like an obvious task which is I know is easy in other closed-source imaged management programs but I have spent a long time googling and not found a solution. I found some discussion on the Digikam mailing list from 2008 on the topic of this feature and it sounded at that point like it was likely to be implemented soon.

http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/Does-no-one-ever-want-quot-custom-order-quot-in-an-album-td1741514.html

Does anyone know a solution for this?

If it is not possible to do in Digikam what would you recommend as an alternate work flow for this that would:

• not require images to be renamed, copied or moved
  • work on mac and ubuntu
  • be able to save and edit the slide show collection later
  • work with a combination of videos and still images
  • be practical to use for a large number of different slide shows from a Digikam catalogue containing tens of thousands of images

I don’t have a lot of experience with desktop application development but I would consider attempting to write a plug-in or patch to accomplish this if it seemed practical, but it seems like it would require a vary in-depth understanding or how the application is designed.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Francis

in digiKam 5.3.0 you can do

View → Slideshow → Presentation

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-graphics/digikam/menu-descriptions.html#idm45894161776096

edit: You can change the order of the images within this dialogue. There are buttons to save and open image order as lists.

I don’t think it is possible in digikam at the moment. It sounds like a good idea though. I suggest file the wish in bugzilla. Slideshow tool was recently rewritten so there is a good chance that the developers will look at your suggestion right away and might schedule the work for it if they think it fits in their roadmap.
One thing I am missing in slideshow is a face movie. I have used it in Picasa years ago and really liked it.

Thanks for the info Christian and Andrius!

I am now downloading version 5.6 to test out “presentation” mode. I will report back once I’ve tried it out and if I don’t succeed with that I think I will file a feature request.