Customizing setting up Darktable for Windows

When I started developing RAW image files Darktable (DT) was NOT available for use on Windows computers. However, I’m now experiencing problems with the absence of support in Rawtherapee (RT) for a new camera/lens combination that I recently acquired.

Therefore, I decided to give DT for Windows a try. I’m still very low on the learning curve but I’m pretty sure that profiles specific to my computer, camera, lens, and printer are needed to get expected results.

The display screen I use on my computer is calibrated but I haven’t been able to find any way to verify what profile DT is using. Apparently, there is some kind of separate program for doing that on Linux but NOT for Windows. At present I just need to know how to tell which profile DT is using.

My lens is also new to me but NOT especially new in the market. However, it is mirrorless and this ended up being a problem on RT. I have acquired the newest available lensfun profiles and it looks like DT is using the outdated ones. Is there reference documentation that explains how to setup & verify correct operation of lensfun?

I’ve also had to acquire current version of DCP profiles from Adobe that include support for my camera. From what I can see there is nothing specific to my camera included in the out-of-the-box setup for DT. Assuming the DT supports DCP profiles some reference documentation on how to maintain them would be helpful. If NOT, some documentation on how camera specific input profiles are maintained would be the answer.

While we’re at it soft-proofing is one of the benefits of developing RAW files. I do have the necessary color profiles for my photo printer. How they get referenced is something I could use some help with.

Have you tried searching the manual for answers: darktable 3.8 user manual - darktable

Darktable doesn’t support DCPs.

By default profile of primary monitor
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/which-profile-is-darktable-using-on-a-windows10-multi-monitor-pc
Be aware of the cm bug
Windows: incorrect colors on secondary monitor · Issue #3619 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

I’ve spent a couple of hours doing that for at least some of the devices in question.

You can only use ICC files with DT…If you calibrate your camera then use that icc in the input profile module…for the display you can right click on an icon down at the bottom right and select the correct icc file…To be found the profiles should be in the configuration folder …under a subfolder color…
It shows as system so it might be correct if the os is setup right but i would select it by name…

Icc files should be copied to…

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\darktable\color\in for input profiles like your camera and out for output profiles for export and display…

I have noticed that when I hover the mouse over either Input Profiles or Output Profiles it displays a couple of paths for each that are of the form …\darktable\color\in & …\darktable\color\out.

I cannot find any folders named “color” anywhere in my installation.

You have to add them to the darktable folder in the Users Appdata folder…given in my post

You may have to enable show hidden folders in you OS if you hide them…not sure but Appdata is system folder so it might get hidden?? I don’t have time to look right now…but you could check…if you enable that in the properties of File explorer.

Well now, I haven’t added anything. So that could explain NOT finding them.

I also notice that when I go to select a profile, say for Input the drop down list includes a bunch of names some of which look to be peculiar to DT. However, I cannot find any files that even begin with the first part of those names.

I keep my system setup to always display Hidden and System files.

What I thought DCP profiles provided was a standard set that corresponded to those used in the camera (i.e., camera specific) for different picture styles. If I have to perform my own calibrations to produce ICC profiles I do NOT think I’m going to get the same thing. My thinking is that even if you want to create your own for whatever reason having the standard ones available is very desirable if only for comparison purposes. Am I missing something?

No its just that DT doesn’t support DCP files. There are some ways to try to convert them but I am not sure how faithful it is…DT does have a set of internal profiles…once you add yours then it will be added to the list… As for your monitor that will be an icc file that your calibration software made …so you just need to put it in color out and then you should be able to select it… RT and ART support DCP but not DT…As far as standard I think DT uses the matrix from Adobe for camera profiles so it should be fairly standard…at least for a matrix icc file…I believe these are preferred for scene referred unbounded data over something with a LUT included

Also note you can’t print from DT on Windows…there is no support…you would have to export or use it virtually in WSL maybe??

Have you tried the latest development version of RT?

No I haven’t. I generally avoid debugging for this kind of software. However, this situation probably makes an exception to that philosophy a good idea. Will do.

Good to know but printing is a whole other matter that has presented plenty of problems also. As it turns out I very much depend on the Canon supplied software for printing on my Canon printer.

I’ve now noticed that the DT User Guide section on Color Management says the following:

“Input color specifications are taken from embedded or user-supplied ICC profiles or (in the case of raw files) from a library of camera-specific color matrices.”

What looks to be the default setting for Input Profile says “Standard Color Matrix”. Is that supposed to know about my camera? If so, how do confirm that DT even knows about (includes) a specific camera? Also, doesn’t look like there are any choices for different picture styles like are found with DCP profiles.

Also, I didn’t notice any mention of what all the other choices for Input Profile refer to! Might it be that they are only for processing jpg files?

Just like DCP files you need to take a matching JPG and generate an ICC or style to give you that look…Adobe supports DCP so you can get them along with a std one…for ICC files unless your camera maker provides them you will have to create them. If DT doesn’t support your camera it should throw an error so if you get the std matrix you should be fine…There is a section in the manual that explains all the color profiles…

Many of the ‘development versions’ are pretty stable. I’ve been one the development version of darktable for years, with hardly any trouble. Others have used RawTherapee without issues. RT currently has some problems releasing a new official version, but not because of quality issues.

Perhaps through this page on the darktable site?

The development version (5.8-3075) downloaded today appears to be NO better than the so-called stable version that must be a couple of years old now when it comes to support for metadata from Canon CR3 format raw files.

It doesn’t read metadata, but you should be able to edit the images.

My Canon EOS R which is kind of the entry level full frame mirrorless version is NOT on the list. No indication of that is given when I process the raw file using DT.