D3100 raw file showing up purple in ufraw

Hello all,

I was directed here by someone in the gimp forum.

I am new to opensource photo editing world. Been a linux user for some time.

I took some pictures of the moon and uploaded them. Darktable is perfectly fine but when I tried open it with gimp, ufraw made the whole sky purple and the only way i can get rid of it by using the denoise filter and crank it up all the way which is not something i want to do. Is there something I am missing? the d3100 is supported by uraw.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

You’ll need to tell us what distro you’re using and what version of ufraw.

Also, if DatkTable works, why not use that?

1 Like

UFRaw is a bit old these days and there’s quite a few more modern raw processing options out there. Have you considered using one of those instead?

Are you actually modifying the files with UFRaw? Or are you just piping them directly into GIMP?

Are they raw files, or .tif, or jpg?

Thank you for the reply. I honestly an very new to the game. I am currently using darktable and that is working really well. Are there any better alternatives?

I came from the world of lightroom and photoshop so I am just used to opening my raw (.nef) images in photoshop. I was hoping to do the same with gimp. I use photoshop and was hoping to use gimp for light touch ups and primarily for stacking images for image averaging to get a sharper picture and less noisy or create motion to create the look of an ND filter and some sharpening etc. I was not using ufraw to edit anyting just using it as a vessel to open the image in gimp, because it is easier to stack all the images and then edit them afterwards. rather then batch edit and then stack. At least for me it is. I am in no ways a pro though.

I tried exporting the images as .tiff from darktable and the same thing happened with the purple noise everywhere.

If ufraw is outdated what is a good replacement for it?

I am using linux mint 18. I will let you know the version of ufraw when i get back to my computer.

Darktable as far as i know cannot do some of the things I need like stacking images for averaging etc. If it can then that would be awesome.

DarkTable can make an HDR image, but that isn’t exactly the same as stacking.

If you want to average or merge images and you’re OK on the command line, check out g’mic (also g’mic is a gimp plugin), enblend/enfuse, and hugin (enblend/enfuse van be run from the hugin GUI).

An alternative to Dark table is RawTherapee, I suggest you use their PPA. I think both darktable and rawtherapee have an “open in gimp” button that’ll pass your image into gimp the same way the ufraw plugin does.

Thank you very much for the help. I ended up installing gimp 2.9. The problem was that I had saved them as 32 bit tiffs and gimp 2.8 was not able to handle it? So I did some research and found that the new gimp 2.9 can handle the 32 bit tiffs.

Now I just have to get used to the software. But that will come with trial and error. I also downloaded rawtherapee per your suggestion and will give that a go as well.

Thank you very much for all your help it was greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Highlight/select one of the photos in Bridge that you have not applied any adjustments to, yet, and right-click then choose Open in Camera Raw and look at the values for the sliders on the various tabs. The “factory defaults” from Adobe are As Shot for WB, mostly zeros for all the sliders, except Sharpening and Color Noise Reduction, and Adobe Standard for the camera profile in the Camera Calibration area. If that is what your initial settings are in the Camera Raw plug-in for a photo you haven’t made any adjustments to, then your defaults are as expected. For complete details check Nikon D3100 Manual.