Dangerous Cliffline

Here’s a snap from the summit of Mt Coree, in the Brindabella Ranges west of Canberra.
I was there with a few friends in the amateur radio community, on an afternoon excursion to ‘play radio’. :smile:
But naturally I took some photos as well!
I wasn’t sure which one to post here, but settled on this one. I possibly should have exposed a bit lower, or preferably, bracketed. But it was cold, very windy, and my mind wasn’t really on the job…

I’ve ended up with some slight haloing on the hills, which I don’t really mind, but I did find it a bit difficult to tame the dynamic range while keeping it “reasonably” natural yet, well, oomph-ish.

(refer to @claes for etymology :wink: )

No brief - I always look forward to seeing the different takes on the same file!

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (16.8 KB)

DSC_6462.NEF (26.2 MB)

10 Likes

Rt. 5.9 + Gimp 2.10.34

DSC_6462.tif.out.pp3 (13.6 KB)

4 Likes

A great image to play with. Thanks for sharing it.
In the absence of bracketed exposures I made a blend of +1 & -1 EV using enfuse. In GIMP I used luminosity masks to adjust brightness, contrast and saturation.

6 Likes

DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (10.5 KB)

5 Likes

DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (22.7 KB)

5 Likes

Thx for the nice picture :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Beautiful spot! I decided to remove the sign … so now noone will be warned :upside_down_face:

RT 5.9 dev + Gimp 2.10.34.2 Heal Selection + resize using IrfanView

DSC_6462_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (19.8 KB)

3 Likes

My version…

DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (15.6 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you everyone! I find the different treatments of the sky especially interesting - @apostel338 and @Popanz have (to my eyes) done an especially good job of maintaining detail, yet not emphasising the blown out section (and my carelessness! :laughing:)

I keep coming back to @BenBeau’s version - I can’t quite decide about those colours!

My version - DT4.4.2

DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (19.5 KB)

Another attempt / version…

DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (22.9 KB)

hmm…

1 Like

On a side note, what do you all think of the sharpness/general optical quality of this lens?

It seems to have a slightly gold haloed reputation in Nikon circles, but I’ve always found it… well, competent but slightly underwhelming.

Were my expectations too high/misplaced? I think so…
It’s the most expensive bit of kit I own… :laughing: even though it was second hand, yet has noticeable chromatic aberration and distortion (both easily correctable however).

Hello,
Here’s my different proposal, as usual, I opted for a more saturated and colorful version because there are very beautiful proposal brighter with pastel colors.

DSC_6462_01.NEF.xmp (19.8 KB)
Darktable 4.5
Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (14.2 KB)

Thanks for the image to play with. I struggled to get a framing I was happy with which contained the sign - hence, I got rid of it with a super-wide panoramic crop. That which I find aesthetically most pleasing as subject are the rays and the various layers(both of mountains and of clouds.)

3 Likes

Nice picture,
i chose a narrow crop to focus the image more on the sign. I also liked the vertical 3:2 crop but chose a 1:1 in the end :wink:

DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (17.3 KB)

7 Likes

DSC_6462.NEF.xmp (10.9 KB)

5 Likes

I like this crop and focus (the lens spots should get lost).

Apparently these signs are popular for decorative purposes. Looks like it has been firmly rooted to avoid relocation.

2 Likes

A more dramatic view. I like the light and slopes in the background.

DSC_6462_01.NEF.xmp (12.1 KB)

1 Like