Dark Moody Tones in DT

Hello.

You can mimic Lr workflow using different dt modules, and in any workflow, scene or display reference. This is an approach to the idea.

_MG_6290.CR3.xmp (13.8 KB)

BTW the YouTube channel isn’t bad for learning, but when images are developed we have to take care to not over develop and avoid halos and artifacts like his one.

Gretings from Habana, Cuba.

4 Likes

Happy that you like it :blush: Re the crushed shadows, it would be easy to lift them a bit in tone eq - possibly in a new module as it might make it easier to separate the job from the ‘white lifting’ (for want of a better term…). While I think of it, I find the color zones works quite well as long as one doesn’t do too abrupt transitions from one color to the next. This is one of the only things I feel is slightly lacking in dt at the moment. The capabilty is there; one can use multiple instances of color balance rgb, with parametric masks for different colors, (loads of control) but the already mentioned ‘color eq’ would be nice. One day…

I wasn’t quite happy with that TBH - local contrast is a display referred module, so one’s not protected against clipping, and I was loosing clouds a bit. I dialed things back it bit in the second version. Maybe I’d try contrast EQ next time.

1 Like

Wow, I really like what you did with the colours !
The way you id it surprised me as well : desaturating all colours but the yellowish reds with colour zones and re casting a blue green tint with colour balance RGB … I mean the process have nothing mysterious but you had the vision to decide to keep just a narrow range of colour and colouring everything else with the same hue/tint !

I’ll have to try to apply this thinking to other pictures, thanks for the demo !

On an other topic, I see a lot of people using the diffuse and sharpen to do chat seems to almost be achievable with contrast equalizer at a much lower performance cost Or is it just me not seeing what’s really different ?

2 Likes

Thanks,

I did the same in other image to pop the yellows

Dark moody

Original photo.

6 Likes

I love it! :heart_eyes: You really made the house pop and somehow the image looks a lot sharper. I really need to learn the diffuse or sharpen module! I’m not very keen on the green clouds and sky though, I feel that would look great indoors though or in a night shot! But you really nailed the “moody” tones.

1 Like

_MG_6290.CR3.xmp (41.6 KB)

Desaturate the sky and clouds it’s quite easy.

Just open a new color balance grb module and create a mask for the sky, then tweak the sliders to isolate the sky and de-saturate the hightlighs,mid-tones and shadows.

3 Likes

That’s great! Love it.

Its funny you chose this image for the moody tones. I see the light hitting the slope on the left and think this is such an amazing feature I can’t ever see this being a moody scene, only one full of light and shadows cast by the forest.

Thats something I really lack is vision of what an image can be. I find I tend to go with what I feel it offers because of this. I didn’t do it justice in my tongue in cheek post about not moody but you can see the light penetrating the forest on the lower right. Someone that knows how to work light could surely do a much better job of it than I did. I think that is a really cool little detail.

I guess my point is sometimes you have to ignore the “realism” to explore the potential of other looks and that would most certainly be a weakness of mine…

2 Likes

My version…

_MG_6290.CR3.xmp (19.3 KB)

3 Likes

Well honestly I picked it without thinking too much. I thought the clouds and the house KINDA looked similar (in lighting conditions) as the one of the white house of the video. I like your different view of the photo!

I agree 100%! That’s something I struggle with though.

2 Likes

_MG_6290.CR3.xmp (7,1 Ko)

2 Likes

Hi @nahueljo,

here is my version, mainly used the tone-equalizer as the “whites slider” and the color zones for the desaturation of blue to green.

I hope this helps :wink:

_MG_6290.CR3.xmp (18.2 KB)

3 Likes

Cool! I see you used mostly the color zones and color balance rgb modules :slight_smile:

Oooo I like it! that’s moody! love the desaturated look and how the house pops.

Thank you so much to everyone that submitted their version and let me peep at their process. I’ve learned a lot from your work.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us play with your image! :blush:. It’s nice to have an interesting ‘brief’ too.

2 Likes

_MG_6290.CR3.xmp (29.4 KB)
I was in a hurry when doing my first edit and seeing all the others made me want to have a go again, or rather re tune the one I did ^^
Used the fulcrum in the multiply blending of the grey mask I crafted in colour calibration mode to adjust effect wanted of contrasts and overhaul brightness. Very handy in this situation

Your picture is really inspiring :smiley:

4 Likes

:open_mouth: i like the sky!

Thanks! I honestly didn’t like it before but now looking at all of these interpretations it’s growing on me!

A version… less dark.

_MG_6290_01.CR3.xmp (22.2 KB)

2 Likes

In response to OP’s original question, how about this? I did it in Local Contrast, Scenic mode, Multiply blend mode with a Fulcrum of +2.18 and Opacity of 80%. Maybe a little advanced, but not difficult.

_MG_6290.CR3.xmp (7.5 KB)

2 Likes

_MG_6290.CR3.xmp (13.5 KB)

2 Likes