Dark theme for Siril (Linux) not working

Hello all,

the subject tells it all: switching on the “dark theme” in Siril’s settings / preferences has no effect under Linux (Ubuntu-20.04.x Mate).

Would be so nice to have it activated for those tiring nights when the eyes hurt … any hint?

TIA and CS!

Hello, are you able to change the OS theme? Maybe it’s just not installed?

Sorry, forgot to mention: I can change the OS theme (in my case) e.g. from “Radiant-MATE” (lightgrey) to “Ambient-MATE-Dark” without problems.

I just wonder whether I could darken only Siril’s window (with the switch in it’s preferences). My work room is very bright with much Sun light and/or bright sky in front of the window where I’m working. Thus many programs are set to a brighter theme … but I can switch to something darker easily when needed, e.g. to middle gray for neutral color perception.

White is almost always too bright … and “night like dark” is too dark under bright daylight.

Several programs I use allow setting a dark theme individually and leave others as they are. I’m just wondering what Siril’s theme switch setting is intended for if not for it’s individual setting!?

Your Ubuntu version is too old I believe and there are some theme issues.
I’m running siril on more recent OS and everything work well.
You can use adwaita theme, it will be ok for sure.

You probably have same issue with other software like gedit.

Can confirm that Siril Dark Theme works on my Ubuntu Jammy system.

Might not be particularly helpful but in case an affirmative “works on 22” might be helpful I thought I’d offer that up.

Changing the theme system wide works (as expected) but I would really prefer to only ‘push the switch’ within Siril … because it is there.

Ubuntu-20.04.x LTS … is a long term support version, for 5 years, that is until 2025. I therefore would expect to get fine tuned updates from Canonical to keep the underlying system and standard applications up to date.

Following the rule to ‘never change a running system’ I always hesitate to update the whole system, because I have many non standard programs (read: custom apt repositories, appImages, Python modules, …) installed which then may or may not run as expected.

My ‘wildly mixed’ installation works nice, including my AIP softwares like Siril, PSS (PlanetarySystemStacker), ImPPG, Fits Liberator … as well as my specific photography, audio and video software which a need for my freelancery.

Asking for that dark mode switch within Siril was thus not more than just me being curious about that Siril switch.

It would have been nice and convenient for my individual workflow if it worked. Surely I can live with the ‘system wide dark theme’ work around.

CS, Frank (aka firstLight)

We’ll do no changes here. Mainly because everything change in GTK4 where dark/light theme is a global pref and adwaita became a library (libadwaita). So we don’t try to be backward compatible but we prefere trying to put our resources for the next GTK update.
Sorry.