Darkroom Editing Options Missing

New to darktable but cannot get started because when I shift from Light Table to Darkroom there are no editing options at all, just blank space as you can see in the screenshot below (with blue lines drawn in to indicate where I expected to see Modules and the like):

The computer is Windows 11 and I can’t figure out what is going wrong here even after looking at the Settings, checking YouTube Videos and uninstalling and re-installing the software. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hit the tab key.

Welcome to the forum!

Hit what tab key? in darktable, you mean? I’ll give it a try. Thanks.

Ya it looks like you collapsed all the panels. Tab is the toggle

The Tab key on your keyboard.

Thanks, but all the Tab key did was to enlarge, then shrink, the image. Other suggestions would be welcome, and I’m grateful for the immediate responses.

Do you have tiny little arrow icons on either side of the screen? If so click on those. The menus should appear.

If none, try clicking on the outermost edge of the screen on either side and see if that works.

Success. The issue was a combination of toggling the controls and screen sizing. Somehow the controls, when toggled on, were pushed off screen. Clicking the arrows to the side of the image fixed this, at least through one trial and error.

Thanks again, and I’ll be back to the forum I’m sure for more substantive advice on using the software.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/

1 Like

Welcome to DT and the forum

Shortcuts affecting screen real estate

Ctrl-Shift-H reveals or hides histogram & Ctrl-Shift-N reveals or hides the Navigation panel

Ctrl-F reveals or hides film strip

Ctrl-H reveals or hides the top header menu tabs

B reveals or hides the borders with arrows

Ctrl-Shift-R reveals or hides the right panel & Ctrl-Shift- L reveals or hides the left panel

Ctrl-Shift- T reveals or hides the top panel & Ctrl-Shift- B reveals or hides the bottom panel

Also note the little triangles and what happens when you click on them.

1 Like

Thanks to all. Great to find such an active community. As I said, I’ll have many more questions, I’m sure.

As to this request, the little triangles worked after I toggled with the Tab key; before that, all those arrows did was shift the image either right or left, revealing nothing. But not, thanks to you all, I think I understand how that works. (And I did check the online manual, as well as YouTube, before posting here, though perhaps not carefully enough. I mention this because, as an emeritus Google Photos Product Expert, I often wished that users would check basic instructions first.)

1 Like