darktable 3.0.1 released

Quick Question:
With darktable 3.0.1 now available with OBS PPA installs, I wonder which version to use for my Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon system.

As far as I know, Mint 19.3 is based on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS. So should I install the Ubuntu 18.04 package??

Any quick hint is welcome.
Thx, Martin

@DerMartin, yes the Ubuntu 18.04 packages should work.

1 Like

Hi!
One question: I’ve updated from 3.0.0 and now the profiled noice reduction module doesn’t have the Chroma and Luma presets anymore.
Is this a normal behaviour or not?
I’ve read that with Wavelet setting the noise reduction doesn’t need two instances anymore, but for Non-Local means?
Thanks a lot for your work!

The same:

1 Like

This new focus peaking is great - thanks.
But: is there a method to limit this to preview ctrl-w and not having these ‘random’ colors within the thumbnails (with 5 in a line this does not make any sense)?

Just asking, is vibrance (the module) the same as vibrance in basic adjustments?

Yes, but you’ll be better off using actual modules instead of basic adjustments in the long run.

1 Like

I think the formulas are different, and vibrance is working in Lab while basic adjustments is working in RGB. But I may be wrong, maybe @anon41087856 can confirm, as he followed the PR.

Yes! Wavelets now have a dedicated mode to reduce luma and chroma mode separately that was thought for denoising and that involves a linear transform. As for non local means, as Boris said, you don’t need 2 instances either anymore, as you can use the details slider to control how much luma noise you want to keep. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, gorgeous! Thanks!

I’m running windows 10 & manjaro atm. In Windows, dt 3.0.1 works really nice, thx again!

In Manjaro, atm i work with the latest git release from AUR and i want to “downgrade” to the official release. Searching for 3.0.1 manjaro in google links to the archlinux packages site where the package is updated and shows version 3.0.1.
Pacman on my manjaro installation only finds 3.0. I already updated pacman but still 3.0.1 is nowhere to be found.

I’m new to arch / manjaro, may anybody help me what i am doing wrong?
Thx!

Might be worth checking if your mirrors are up-to-date (update /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist to match /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.pacnew if it exists and then uncomment the mirror(s) you want to use).

After that, run ‘pacman -Syyu’ (I think the second ‘y’ forces the mirror to update)

1 Like

Thx. That has not changed anything. But i found the “Download package” button on the arch package site, now i have 3.0.1. Unfortunately some edits from 3.1 git do not work, “mask version mismatch”. But i am running manjaro as my second system and only do some “testing”, so no problem. Maybe i just stick to the “official” releases in the future :slight_smile:

That would be the curved gradient mask in 3.1. I got stung by that one and will have to wait until 3.2 to get back onto the stable version

The module vibrance uses Lab and tends to darken colors a lot (which is weird because the Lab space should precisely allow to avoid that).

The vibrance in basicadj is an algo I have designed. It works in RGB space and is just the same algo as the saturation, but with a penalty applied on already-saturated pixels. The dev who put it there tested its hue preservation property, and it’s fairly hue-invariant. Of course, it will darken blue a bit (no saturated blue can ever be percieved bright, that’s how our perceptual system works, just like dark yellow is actually more muddy than yellow), but for some reason, it darkens less than the Lab vibrance.

2 Likes

You will release a 3.0.2 to install that fix in our computers, right?

Yes, but no date yet.

Hi everyone, just upgraded from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1.2 on Mac Os X and all the camera presets on denoise (profiled) module disappeared. Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Thank you for your great work.

UPDATE: my fault, I’m an idiot, camera profiles are still there, sorry guys. I just got fooled, I’m just moving my first steps in digital post-processing and with DT, forgive me.

I don’t see any camera presets on this module. Using good words is easier to be sure we understand what you mean. There’s module presets and camera profiles, two different things, on this module.

Said that, I will suppose you talk about module presets. Presets (for example chroma and luma ones) have been removed because they were related on old version of this module (so before 3.0 updates). As they are no more useful (not adapted to new algorithm) they were removed in 3.0.1 update. This is not an issue but a one fixed.

I’m a newbie moving his first steps in post-processing and, my fault, I checked under module presets, while, as you correctly pointed out, the camera profiles are under “profiles” and I confirm they’re still there. I’m really sorry, thank you so much for spending time answering to a n00b.

Mistakes happen! Welcome to the community.