Darktable 3.0.2 does not see Fuji XT-2 anymore?

Now that’s strange. It looks like that the lens correction module in DT 3.0.2 does not recognize my Fuji XT-2 anymore. If I select manually there’s no XT-2 in the cameras listed under Fujfilm! I am sure that it was there before. This is happening on my system after a recent reinstall from scratch, so maybe I’ve missed something… I also don’t have the lensfun-update binary anywhere on my system, should I have it?

Are you sure your system isn’t trying to mount the Fuji as some sort of removable disk?

If you search for lensfun, are the right packages installed?

Ciao, Alessandro,

The X-T2 exists in the lens correction module of git-version 3.1.0+1795

/Claes

Thanks mica, I found that I did not have the binaries installed:

(base) 17:23:14 aadm@c64:~$ apt list --installed | grep lensfu

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

liblensfun-data-v1/eoan,eoan,now 0.3.2-4 all [installed,automatic]
liblensfun1/eoan,now 0.3.2-4 amd64 [installed,automatic]

So I installed the binaries with sudo apt install liblensfun-bin and then run the update:

(base) 17:25:25 aadm@c64:~$ sudo lensfun-update-data 
Reading http://lensfun.sourceforge.net/db/versions.json …
Reading http://wilson.bronger.org/lensfun-db/versions.json …
Successfully updated the database in /var/lib/lensfun-updates/version_1.

Now DT correctly sees my Fuji XT2!

I forgot or never realized I had to do this step before. It is weird that this isn’t mentioned in DT manual anywhere, I mean this manual update of the lensfun database.

I think its a bit outside the scope of the DT manual. Also you may have run into a particular with how your distro packages lensfun and darktable.

Just wanted to post the same issue. I set up a new system with Xubuntu 18.04 and installed darktable from OBS master.
Found out that only a few lenses were in the lens correction, so I wanted to update the lensfun database and the terminal told me that this command was not found.

Thought that lensfun was included in the installation package, but it wasn’t.

1 Like
  1. learn your system
  2. no we are not shipping system libraries and tools in your darktable package.
  3. if you want ubuntu to update the lensfun database you need to open a bug with them.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I understand this is not a problem related to DT but I still feel that mentioning somewhere in the docs why something fundamental like lens correction doesn’t work out of the box wouldn’t hurt (and can be fixed by simply installing a particular binary that is not installed by default).

What would you like it to day, specifically? And where? And for which supported platforms?

Well I just know Ubuntu; and I have discovered that liblensfun-bin doesn’t get installed in Ubuntu together with DT; so a simple sentence that says "hey people if you need lens correction to work remember to update the lensfun database by installing liblensfun-bin… and then run lensfun-update-data".

If this is also valid for the other supported platforms I don’t know but surely the people that develop and maintain the code would know.

(or have I misunderstood your reply?)

Normally, the packages for your system declare external libraries as required or optional dependencies, and your package manager proposes/forces you to install those dependencies. In my experience, that also holds for the OBS repositories (but I’m using OpenSUSe, perhaps Ubuntu works differently).

Note that packaging dt for specific distributions is not done by the dt team (afaik).

You are on an over 2 year old distribution. That means … your lensfun is over 2 years old. I am sure Ubuntu 20.04 will have a newer lensfun and a newer lensfun DB.

Unlike windows installer which ship every library and data file that they need, we do not do that on linux. it has the advantage if we fix it once. All installed applications benefit from it.

And lensfun actually makes it easy for you to update the database manually. And again all apps using lensfun with automatically see the lensfun DB update, not just darktable.

1 Like

It should have the same version of the library, 0.3.2, as that is the latest working version and it is a few years old. Running the update command will fetch the newest profiles.

We need to be through and accurate in the documentation, but also minimal as to make the information maintainable. You have not misunderstood my reply, but you’re asking more than you think. Nobody is really writing documentation right now.

Alright @darix and @paperdigits thanks for explaining to me a little bit more about what goes on behind the scenes. For example, I didn’t realize that Ubuntu 19.10 was “old” and how difficult it is to maintain good documentation (DT docs are already very very good!).

It’s not relevant to the conversation, but I did try to install Ubuntu 20; however so many things weren’t working correctly so I decided to go back to 19.10, missed my backup so I had to rebuild all configs from scratch…