darktable 3.0 module order reset ?

Hi, is there a one-click-way to reset the module-order to the dt-default ?
Can’t find a way. Thanks in advance.

If you’re not bothered about retaining your edits, discarding the history stack will do it.

If you want to retain your edits, you’ll need to duplicate your image, discard history on the duplicate, then copy the history stack over from the original to the duplicate.

There’s a change coming in 3.0.1 that will probably make this easier (po/change iop order by TurboGit · Pull Request #3908 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub).

Hi Chris, I meant in the general GUI of dt.
Since 3.0 it is possible to re-order the modules in a custom way. I don’t want that, but I’m not sure I messed up the default-order. So I am looking for away to reset it.

You can’t reorder them in the GUI without reordering them in the pixelpipe (the order in which they are processed).

You can only re-order the modules (and hence the pixelpipe) on an image-by-image basis at the moment (with ctrl-shift-drag). The pull request I referenced above will let you define custom orders or save order within a style.

Discarding the history stack as I’ve described above will reset the order for the current image but you can’t change the order for all images.

The order of the modules also depends on whether you originally started editing the image in darktable 2.6 or darktable 3.0 (see darktable 3.0 module order on 2.x edits - #5 by elstoc).

Hi Chris, thanks. I understand that it’s not possible to re-arrange the modules as a general GUI-modification, which is a good thing imho.

Is that finally solved in 3.2.1?

Counter-intuitive and anti-workflow module groupping and ordering in GUI is one of two things that keep me away from switching to DT. (Second reason is all this confusing “import” “filmrolls” and “collections” philosophy instead of simple file manager/viewer like in RawTherapee).

I know official version - “Module order in GUI reflects module apply order in pixel pipe. Stop. You shouldn’t change pixel-pipe module order. Stop.” Yes, of course. We all know. Probably very convenient for software developer. For user it’s like having super car with accelerator pedal mounted directly on carburetor, steering wheel directly on front axle, main switch directly on battery etc. Be it best, strongest and most damage-proof car in world, it remains unusable for driver who isn’t engineer or prototype-tester :slight_smile:

Ok, to the point:
-in 3.0 there is an option to rearrange modules (only within group, but it’s yet a progress) by ctrl+shift+drag but this changes internal order in pixelpipe.
-separating “module reordering for GUI” from “module reordering in pixelpipe” would be enough to finally make DT usable and workflow-friendly without affecting internal module order

Is there any possibility to rearrange modules in GUI without affecting internal pipe? (not for particular image or style, but for whole DT) By dragging, editing Style Sheet file or some other config file?

No, the order of the modules represents the pixel pipe. Maximum information for the user on the sequence modules are applied.
If the GUI‘s order differs from the pixel pipes order there’s no way for a user to see the current order since the pixel pipe‘s order can be customized now (even copied when copying edits)
Instead of nagging around on the UI concept you’d better spend time in learning how to use darktable - if you really want to use it. If other tools better fit your requirements - simply use them.

There is always the “favourite” module group to collect the modules you use regularly (I agree that it gets a bit clumsy with all 77 modules included). As for the other groups, you can hide modules you don’t use (see manual)

And I do like to have an idea of the order in which modules are applied. Changing that order is possible, but I can see that there are very good reasons why some need to be earlier than others (you can’t really apply an output profile before demosaicing…) and I’m glad the developers spend the time to figure out what is the optimal order (where possible)

Oh, and under “collect images” there’s a “folders” option, which gives you a file system view on the images imported into darktable. You’ll still have to import your image into darktable, though (I think that’s an advantage, as I’m not limited to using one single directory tree for my images)

For the rest, I have to agree with @MStraeten : it’s very well possible that other tools fit your requirements better; in that case just use those tools (that’s basically what I do for adding tags, titles and captions to my images)

The original question also had the aspect of how to reset the module order back to the darktable default (e.g. if one has screwed things up). Here the 3.2.1 release has really brought an improvement:

On the “order in GUI” vs. “order in pixelpipe” discussion, I agree that they should be synchronized. I make sure that the majority of modules I use are in the favorite list and for anything else I use the search-box. Only very occasionally I go through the other tabs to look for other modules that I could use.

1 Like

I’m really impressed by the software and don’t want to “nag”. Module execution order is matter of what should be “physically” done with our images, also other aspect was taken, as computational complexity of modules etc.

@MStraeten that’s What I find in other discussions and that’s what I stated as uncomfortable. I know that modules “GUI order” is just “pixel pipe order”. This is endemic for DT. I wouldn’t like to touch pixelpipe/execution order. Disconnection of the two would allow eg cropping as a first step, without digging trhu modules lists (and I understand that demosaicing + few others would be executed before). Just hoped that it changed in 3.2.1 - I have read manual but it’s for 2.4-3.0 depending on chapter, so I just hoped that my biggest problem with DT was implemented yet undescribed in online manual.

DT fits my needs and much more.
That’s why I still want to use it (and maybe contribute with some found bugs etc, that needs experience). It only has “more programmer’s than photographer’s friendly UI”. If it’s possible to rearrange (since 3.0 it is) then could be possible to create list (eg in config file) which said “module #2 appears on list A (named “abcxyz”) on position 7”
It would be much easier to switch for guys that used LR, RT, UFRaw etc software, that have module display hardcoded but generally in similar manner and more “photograper’s workflow” style.

For files - i resolved what I need by adding “open this folder in DT” to my file manager context menu. Sort to my sophisticated folder structure, then load particular folder to develop in DT.

Now it’s time to learn driving this “Ford DT packed with space technology” :slight_smile:

This point has been made too many times. darktable doesn’t aim to be like other raw processors; it is it’s own tool with it’s own quirks. That is OK. We should cater to the people who want to use the application now, not those who will maybe use if it is a direct lightroom clone.

Stick your favorite modules in the favorites tab and make a style that is auto-applied on image import and you’ll have a much smoother workflow.

Sure it is possible to write the code to re-arrange the modules… lots of things are technically possible, but that doesn’t mean they’re a good idea. Too many options for re-arranging the modules presents too many end user issues, and we’ll just drown in issues from people who don’t understand what is what.

Yes, want to use DT now - if I can use imagemagick, I can use this. It could be “like other RAW processors but more powerful”, now it’s just “way more powerful”, for strange reasons without first part of statement. When I worked as software tester, there was a rule “support innovations with UX, otherwise these innovations are worth 1% of their potential value”. That’s the point I still cannot drop sometimes.

Confusing UX as a sort of “anti lame filter” or I missed something? (absolutely no offence to authors or helping guys here, just sometimes completely new for me)

Thanks. Find out a “style” that closely reflect my “out of camera” (but less denoised how I like), save it as default and treat it like “start point”? Or something like “half processed”, to finish manually? What would you recommend for start as experienced DT user?
Going to figure out what I want as start point.

For what it’s worth: if you are still learning your ways in darktable (like still I do), I can highly recommend @Bruce_Williams’ series of YouTube videos “Understanding darktable”. Some of the older videos (e.g. denoise profiled and filmic) have been superseded by newer videos, because the modules have been overhauled.

There are of course also good videos (by other members of this forum), which showcase the capabilities of darktable, but I really like the in-depth, step-by discussions of the individual modules in Bruce’s videos.

1 Like

Learn the Exposure + Filmic RGB combo. Turn on the 3.0 module order and enable filmic to be auto applied. Tweak the exposure module so it fits your average exposing habits. Those two modules, along with white balance will get you a long way.

1 Like

Dor an experienced dt user it’s worth to have a look at PIXLS.US - Darktable 3:RGB or Lab? Which Modules? Help! - this helps to find a way through the jungle of dt modules and get rid of old habits