Darktable 3.2.1 crash

After upgrading to 3.2.1, Darktable crashed. I was importing images from ext hard drive. I am running Mac OS Catalina. I tried to reopen it, no luck. Apple created a crash report. I uninstalled dt by removing from Application. Downloaded new dmg and reinstalled. Dt would not open at all. Tried reboot and restarted the whole process. No luck. Please help.

Can you open the Terminal app, and at the command line type:
/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable

This will start darktable fro mthe command line, and will print out in the terminal window any error messages, which will be helpful to track down your issue.

You probably need to grant the darktable app disk access permissions in the macOS preferences panel.

I copy that message:
(process:8144): GLib-GObject- CRITICAL **: 19:47:22.791: g_object_set: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

[init] database version of `/Users/takyik/.config/darktable/data.db’ is too new for this build of darktable. aborting

ERROR : cannot open database

I did download the older version but neither worked.
I also have the first crash report which was generated by Apple. I am not sure if this could be put here.

Ok, so that message is saying that you have at some point run a later version of darktable than the one you are trying to run now, and so the database is no longer compatible. To get darktable running again, you can type in the terminal:
mv ~/.config/darktable ~/.config/darktable.old

then try running darktable again from the terminal. This will reset all your preferences and imported images, so you’ll need to reimport.

Alternatively, upgrade the darktable version you have installed in the /Applications folder to the latest version.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will try and see.

I could open the program now. I lost all the setting and preference. Should I upgrade to the latest 3.2.1 before the import?

What you can do is upgrade the darktable in your /Applications folder to 3.2.1, put back the original directory you moved out of the way, and try running the 3.2.1 version. Hopefully this will avoid you losing your settings.

mv ~/.config/darktable ~/.config/darktable.old2
mv ~/.config/darktable.old ~/.config/darktable

then run darktable 3.2.1 from the terminal

Many thanks.

It seems that DT is restored. However I found it will crash even the whole folder was imported. Because some of the images are not completely imported. So I have to re-import and it crashes. I tried to import a single and 3 images all at once without a problem. There is no problem importing from memory card. If I select all images from a folder to import, it crashes. How could I troubleshoot what’s happening.

It’s possible that your folder contains a file that darktable doesn’t like. If you start darktable in a terminal, what error message do you see? You may need to specify the « -d all » option to get more info. If we can identify which file darktable doesn’t like, you can post it and we’ll try to find out why.

Hi Matt, there is no error msg when I open from the terminal. I typed open -a darktable I tried to add that to follow. It said invalid command. I am not good in unix command.

That’s no good. You need to type:

/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all

This is what I got:
192-168-1-111:~ takyik$ /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d all
-bash: /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable: No such file or directory
192-168-1-111:~ takyik$

ok let’s confirm:

• is this on your Mac? or a different machine?
  • where did you install the darktable app? Is it in /Applications, or somewhere else?

It is on Mac. I installed the dmg file from Application. You did mentioned before to install from terminal.

Ok, so you need to open the dmg file, and a window will open with the darktable icon insode. You need to drag that across into the /Application folder. Then run the command I mentioned before.

Matt, you are a Master. I got a very long text. I copied the first few lines.
"[memory] at startup
[memory] max address space (vmpeak): unknown
[memory] cur address space (vmsize): 4379868 kB
[memory] max used memory (vmhwm ): unknown
[memory] cur used memory (vmrss ): 8420 kB

(process:856): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 20:12:49.480: g_object_set: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed
[dt_pthread_create] info: bumping pthread’s stacksize from 524288 to 2097152
[dt_pthread_create] info: bumping pthread’s stacksize from 524288 to 2097152"

I could attach the txt file if required. Thank you for your help.

Yes, if you could attach the whole txt file, we’ll take a look and see what we can see.

DT start up report_7.9.2020.txt (304.1 KB)
Thank you for your time. Very much appreciated.