darktable 3.3. Windows build

Just wondering…is there a dev build of dt 3.3 for Windows?

I have been building it myself. Setting the environment looks more complicated than it is. You can also skip the tethering and documentation part, which requires most manual fiddling.

To get dt itself up and running read https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/packaging/windows/BUILD.txt. I have used method A. You can skip lines 43-73 and 80-91.

I don’t remember if it was because I had first installed MSYS under Program Files that I had run the MINGW as Admin. I have now defined that I run them as root even though it’s no longer under Program Files. I read somewhere that you should use MSYS when you update the MSYS system files and MINGW, when you build your applications.

I hope this helps you few steps ahead.

Thanks, Juha. I will give it a try, since I think it will come in handy again in the future. Probably take awhile to wade through it, but off I go :walking_man:.

Would you explain a little more about what you did?

The build instructions are pretty good, they specify what commands to run in the MSYS shell/terminal, and when to switch to the MINGW shell/terminal.

Are you stuck on any specific step, or something is not clear? We can always try to improve the instructions…

I saw many time-outs, but I think everything installed until on this step (line 17):

pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-{exiv2,lcms2,lensfun,dbus-glib,openexr,sqlite3,libxslt,libsoup,libavif,libwebp,libsecret,lua,graphicsmagick,openjpeg2,gtk3,pugixml,libexif,osm-gps-map,libgphoto2,flickcurl,drmingw,gettext,python3,iso-codes,python3-jsonschema,python3-setuptools}

:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/mingw-w64-x86_64-libgphoto2-2.5.23-2-any.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] y
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Yes, I’ve noticed as well, unfortunately it looks like the msys2 infrastructure is suffering a bit in the last couple of days…

Just have to wait I guess :confused:

I can confirm this…

did a build of current master today with additional pr for new channelmixer and filmic opencl support:
darktable-3.3.0+1057~g92fae0e6c-win64.exe

But backup your darktable config directory and don’t use it for productive work - since it is a development state it can contain issues that might mess up your edits …

Thank you very much, @MStraeten!!! dt3.3: Thank you, @anon41087856 and all the other developers!

1 Like

current master including new channelmixerrgb: darktable-3.3.0+1407~gb5ac3dc25-win64.exe
backup your darktable config directory and don’t use it for productive work - since it is a development state it can contain issues that might mess up your edits …
It also updates the database - there’s no way back without a backup

I down loaded DT 3.3.0+1407. Win 10. However, I get the following message - App was unable to start (0xc0000142). Is this a MS windows security problem. Assistance will be appreciated.

cannot reproduce it - don’t have an idea what this errorcode indicates …

@evan147 @MStraeten If this is not a generic build it could be hardware specific. I have an intel box and an AMD one and if I let it select the optimum configuration for the build it wont work on the other machine I have to build as generic…maybe this is it??

it’s built following https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/packaging/windows/BUILD.txt (in a virtual machine but runs fine outside)

So if you use the default instructions there may be cpu and other tweaks specific to your hardware incorporated in the build…if you use the alternate suggested as well in the instructions…then its generic…and should be more compatible…but perhaps not as performance tweaked as the default…its a small command line change… ““NOTE: The package created will be optimized for the machine on which it has been built, but it could not run on other PCs with different hardware or different Windows version. If you want to create a “generic” package, change the first cmake command line as follows:
$ cmake -G “MSYS Makefiles” -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable -DBINARY_PACKAGE_BUILD=ON …/.””

I’m not saying this is the issue just that I have to build it as generic if I am going to use it on the my other PC…following the usual instructions works fine as long as I build and run on the same machine…I get a similar error if I recall correctly to what @evan147 noted but as I now have avoided it for a long time I can’t be certain…just offering it as a possible solution… Eugene, I’ll do a generic tonight if you want to try…but be warned there is a frantic pace of commits going on over the last few days as the feature freeze approached so there could be gremlins in there so be sure to backup…

Btw: there’re nightly builds available: Actions · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks for the help. It seems that this could be a system problem. I will try to resove the problem at this end and let you know,

I can follow the link and I can see nightly builds, but I can not download it ?
What am I doing wrong here?