Darktable 3.6, simple working instructions needed

If 3.0 and display referred workflow is fine for you, stay with it.
For others there’s no way back after getting comfortable with all that new stuff enabling a scene referred workflow - no reason to continue using flintstones :wink:
Just be aware - if you need support you‘ll frequently get the hint to switch to 3.6 with scene referred workflow. Thats where the developers are working on - definitely no waste of time.

2 Likes

Hallo @Onkel-Luecke, und willkommen in Forum!

Ich empfehle dir eine deiner Rohdateien in der Kategorie “Play raw” anzubieten und anhand diesen Beispiels werde ich dir helfen mit darktable 3.6 zu erwünschten Ergebnis zu kommen.
Zur darktable 3.0 zurückzukehren macht kein Sinn.

Play raw:

Beste Grüße,
Boris

5 Likes

Klasse Idee, herzlichen Dank für das Angebot, davon mache ich gerne gebrauch!
Kann aber ein paar Tage dauern, bis ich soweit bin, muß mich erstmal erholen und den Rückstand aufarbeiten, habe vorerst wieder 3.0 installiert.

Schöne Grüße, Detlef
Wie geht das, Raw in Dropbox ablegen und verlinken?

Nein. Schaue dir bitte einige von den Beiträgen in der Kategorie.

Du erstellst einfach ein neues Thema, am besten auf englisch, so dass alle Mitglieder hier es verstehen und auch mitmachen können. Wenn du Schwierigkeiten mit der Sprache hast, empfehle ich:

Dieser online Übersetzer ist viel besser als der von Google.

Dann kannst du einfach weiter schreiben wie einen normalen Beitrag.
In der Symbolleiste des Beitragfensters kannst du dann per “Hochladen” (Symbol mit Pfeil nach oben) deine Datei hochladen. Die taucht dann an der entsprechenden Stelle im Text als aktives (blaues) Link auf.

Bitte vergiss auch nicht eine passende offene Lizenz für deine Datei auszusuchen. Wenn du nicht sicher bist wie, übernimmst du einfach die schon im Beitragsfenster vorgeschlagene.

Lizenz ist notwendig als rechtliche Sicherheit für die Teilnehmer. Dadurch erlaubst du offiziell den Teilnehmern deine Datei bearbeiten zu dürfen.

1 Like

This is a text book edit in recent DT… @s7habo is I think a native German speaker so he could certainly assist you…3.6 is far superior in the results you can obtain so hang in there… watch this maybe at .75 speed if too fast and be sure to set it to the max resolution in youtube and you should be able to read it… but reach out to Boris he is a master with the software…

1 Like

I see that Boris is using the exposure>multiply-reverse for a contrast adjustment. Multiply-reverse is no longer available with dt lates … what alternate would provide a similat effect?

1 Like

It is just click the icon beside multiply that is reverse…works like that for the blend modes now…

Subtract at a low opacity is also good for a contrast boost…

1 Like

I guess that does it … but unfortunately there is no ‘indicator’ showing that reverse is in place. Oh well, can’t ask for everything.

1 Like

The icon get brighter…when enables…shows off when not…

1 Like

I definitely need new glasses!!

1 Like

Explained here under mask refactoring update… darktable 3.6: Summer Release 2021 | darktable

1 Like

Thank you so much for being so persistent!
I will take a close look at all the tips.

In the meantime, I installed 3.0 so I can get back to work, but I want to try installing 3.6 on another partition for learning, but that will take some time.
Thanks again for your effort!

ça serait bien si on pouvait tous se comprendre, non ?

2 Likes

Yes, I know that this is a forum where people talk in English, but in this case I made an exception because it is a new participant who is not very proficient in English and is very overwhelmed in terms of using the new version of darktable.

So I first briefly instructed him in his native language how to proceed. But that doesn’t mean that I will talk to him only in german. This is rather to be understood as an exception.

8 Likes

We have never mandated English here, though it seems to be the language that will garner one the most help (and is helpful to me since I only speak English).

But we have many users who use Google translate or deepl to communicate here.

1 Like

I translated your German to follow the thread. I wasn’t bothered…

1 Like

You don’t need another partition unless you want. DT has a command line option to specify a config directory so just install it along side 3.0 but run it with --configdir and make a folder to hold the config files. Then just work on copies of your files at the start to avoid crossing over into 3.0… All the options are contained here… darktable 3.6 user manual - darktable

and here

2 Likes

Thanks, but I use Linux / Lubuntu and there I certainly do not open a new job…

??? Sorry likely a translation issue…

Its a trivial matter to run both?? ie 3.6 and 3.7 dev

Using

Test/unstable version

To use a test version of darktable without damaging your regular/stable version files and database, start darktable in a terminal with:

/opt/darktable-test/bin/darktable --configdir “~/.config/darktable-test”

and ensure to disable the option “write sidecar file for each image” in preferences → storage → XMP. This way, your regular/stable version will save its configuration files in ~/.config/darktable, as usual, and the test/unstable one in ~/.config/darktable-test, so they will not produce database conflicts.

2 Likes

I have thoroughly analyzed the video and written down each step. It seems extremely complicated, but I will try to follow it.