darktable 3.6: Summer Release 2021

It sounded like he may have had a corporate policy in place that might restrict him doing that but I have forgot about that setting…for me at work it was our antivirus that had to be allowed to run DT…I could run it but it would always get flagged by Trend Micro…

I run Windows exclusively, all day as my only desktop Operating System. Am on Windows 10, across a few different computers with different releases of Window 10.

@Denis_Thibeault, the issue you raise, is absolutely normal, and expected with all Windows installs, where the Windows UAC security, has been enabled. This is usually enabled by default, and I think its a good thing to have this enabled.

More info on this here

Furthermore, with respect to the darktable installation executable, it displays the message about an unknown publisher, because the executable file has not been signed, with a secure key/certificate.

The process would require the darktable dev team, to obtain a secure key/certificate from a certificate authority, a process which costs money per year, and also needs some background checks/verification of the publisher, in the real world, to validate that they are who they claim to be.

With darktable, for windows users, what’s important is to download from the authentic links, via the darktable official site, and if they want to they can also check the hash (SH1) as additional due diligence.

At this time, there are no workarounds, I am aware of, to redress this issue.

When I do have spare time, I’ll have a deeper look at the other two methods, which may provide a secure way to distribute the app, to windows users.

1. Via the Microsoft Store - my gut feeling is that there may not be an associated publishing cost, cost for this, for an app that is also free - my wishful thinking.

2. There is also a possibility via the Microsoft Package Manager (winget), so if the app is published to the Microsoft repository, users can securely obtain a copy this way, and also have it installed at the same time. I do not think there would be a charge for publishing an app to the Microsoft repository - based on my brief checks, but it does require some vetting of the app, by the repository admins.

But these other approaches, are only possibilities for now, and in your case, the organisation would have to most likely also enable permission for these other install methods, to be used within the business.

Seems 3.6.0.1 got a bit more greedy on Windows 10. I get Access Violation Errors when starting it - unless I close Chrome (I usually don’t run Chrome when I edit pics).

I don’t feel it’s a bug, more like a reminder to upgrade my hardware.

I typically have run Chrome, with lots of sites open in tabs, at the same time as I use darktable, and hitherto, I have not found any issues with using Chrome and darktable at the same time on Windows 10.

It may be that there is truly a bug in darktable.

But if you have to close Chrome, to avoid the Access Violation Errors, methinks, it may have something to do with RAM. If I may ask, how much RAM in Gigabytes, do you have installed on the affected computer (or allocated in a virtual machine)?

I have 8GB of RAM on my most frequently used Windows 10 computer, and when I do have a good number of tabs open in Chrome, and run darktable at the same time, certain operations, in darktable, will cause the total RAM allocated in memory to reach over 90% of physical RAM, temporarily - such as when exporting an image., but its transient.

I do all that including checking the hash and then I also run a Microsoft Defender scan on the downloaded file. Then I run a Malwarebytes scan on the file too. Then I install.

I do this for all downloaded executables.

1 Like

I have 8Gb and most is sucked up by Chrome. So I blame my smalish memory. That my pix folder is 100Gb with nearly 2000 pics may also contribute.

One more massive thanks to the darktable team and community. With the recent releases, leading up to 3.6, I have finally reached a point where the only limitation to the kind of editing I need ( I do not do extensive Photoshop type manipulation of images, most of what I capture is nature or people, where I want the result to look natural, and realistic). is my own understanding of the tools.

I’ve been getting great results in the last few weeks with darktable, and it gets better every day, the more I use it. A huge relief, cos I have been on the journey with dt for over a year. The current release 3.6.0.1 has everything I need on a regular basis, and I am extremely satisfied with it. Its so easy within just a few minutes, typically no more than 2 minutes, to churn out a polished, highly engaging image, and as long as the capture was done properly and in focus, job done. At this time the only images I have any challenges with are the ones where the framing, focussing, lighting, were not up to scratch, and I simply no longer waste time with editing these kinds of images, any more. The lightroom is such a great tool for culling and reviewing images before editing.

The colour balance, filmic, color calibration, tone eq, etc, etc, have become a lot easier to use, over time, as one learns more about these. But more pertinent to me are the results. Great results.

I’ll highlight the sense of control, it just feels so much easier to nudge the image, into whatever direction you want (within limits obviously).

While not a new tool, local contrast has been my most pleasant discovery - bringing to life images, in a way that I have not been able to achieve with any other modules, bridging the missing gap between broad contrast shaping via filmic, and micro-level contrast using sharpen or contrast equaliser. It appears that local contrast is the fix I’ve been yearning for, cos I no longer reach out to the tone equaliser, to deal with the in-between contrast.

Enough talk. One image from a most satisfied end user.

6 Likes

2021-07-10_151624

2021-07-10_151744

I’m giving Linux a try for editing. Running Manjaro Gnome, what is the recommended way of installing 3.6? Can only find community/darktable 2:3.4.1-4 via pacman -Ss darktable.

Most likely it didn’t make it into the manjaro repos yet. Standard arch one has it since the official release day: Arch Linux - darktable 2:3.6.0-2 (x86_64)

Took about a month for Manjaro to add it to their repository on the 3.4 update.
There is a flatpak available for installation via Pamac at this time.

Thanks. Thought Manjaro used the same repositories as Arch.

No, Manjaro repositories are separate and lag behind Arch’s a couple of weeks. It may be possible (but very much not recommended) to download the Arch package and install it manually using pacman -U <filename>.

You can also compile it yourself (not as difficult as it sounds) or use the flatpak that Mascsitkin mentioned.

If you want to compile dt 3.6 yourself, does it affect an installed version of 3.4xx? Should an existing version be removed before compiling?
How is the compiled software maintained? Do upgrades require recompiling from the newer version?

I’m not familiar with compiling and using software this way, any one with more experience, I’d love to know these things. Thanks for reading.

Thanks

pamac search darktable does not show any 3.6 release for me.

Or … one can simply pull the 4 darktable-git pieces from the Arch repos and have the latest and greatest built without any fuss whatsoever. … and No, you do not have to compile anything.

Fresh builds are scary :slight_smile: I’m afraid I will be working with some feature that will never make it to 3.8. This flathub package was actually recommended in the README, so I went for that.

Yes, I totally understand … but I can tell you that I have been using the git versions for a very long time with minimal ‘techie’ know-how and have never had a more stable system with less problems.
Since you are new to Manjaro I would recommend using the very basic XFCE desktop rather than Gnome.

Cool, thanks.

I have a previous relationship with XFCE, but when they decided to go full-on client side decorations (CSD) it was clear to I might as well try Gnome and KDE.

Everything in master should be in the next stable release. Master is not an experimental or disposable branch. Experimental stuff stays in pull requests.