darktable 3.6: Summer Release 2021

Translations of this article: German, French, Spanish The darktable team is proud to announce our second summer feature release, darktable 3.6. Merry (summer) Christmas! This is the first of two releases this year and, from here on, we intend to issue two new feature releases each year, around the summer and winter solstices. Documentation Thanks to countless hours of work of very dedicated contributors, all of the new features are fully documented in time in the user manual, which is now available in epub format along with the existing online and pdf versions.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.darktable.org/2021/07/darktable-3-6/
42 Likes

Please follow the link at the bottom of the first post for a copy of this article with images, and with a correct link to the German translation. We’ve had to push some last-minute updates to the website but they don’t appear to get mirrored to the pixls post.

I’m comfortable with building darktable from source but how can I check if I will get a benefit from this over the pre-built packages ?

Or is it always the case if you compile yourself there will always be benefits ?

That depends on your system configuration since there’s several parallelization stuff in the code. Maybe you won’t feel a difference because thats just a fraction of a second in your case. In quite complex pixel pipes this can sum up to reasonable processing time improvements. But just you can decide if it’s worth an attempt

In theory, yes, building apps on your system is always more optimized and allegedly faster. In practice though, it’s possible that “faster” is below the perceptual threshold. It depends on your hardware…

1 Like

First time using both color balance rgb and details threshold mask. It’s definitely love at first sight! Many kudos to all involved.

2 Likes

This is incredible. Thank you all so much for all the work and effort you put in! The quick access panel in itself is worth a dot-release, and there are so many more features to explore and learn about…
The performance efforts are very much appreciated as well. I am on a new machine now, but I did notice a massive improvement on my old machine from 3.2. to 3.4 - and I like that you care not only about features but efficiency as well.
It does indeed feel like a (summery) christmas, cheers :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I give a big Thank You! to everyone who worked to make this happen. I am embarking on a new learning curve. And I’ve learned that as soon as I get a new release, all of you “big hitters” will be moving on to the future release.

But I promise to study the docs first, before I start asking stupid questions. :wink: On to Color Balance RGB…

9 Likes

Thanks you so much to developers and everyone involved in this amazing project. this new release coming with a lot of new great features, I hope to enjoy it as much as you creating it.
Summer Christmas is here!!!

1 Like

There are so many things to be impressed by with this release. The color balance rgb module is great!
Many thanks to all the developers. This release is a stunning achievement.

1 Like

I am using the install suggestions provided in the github readme to install on the current version of manjaro and keep getting this error message:

make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
[ 46%] Linking C shared module libslideshow.so
[ 46%] Built target slideshow
[ 46%] Linking C shared module liblighttable.so
[ 46%] Built target lighttable
[ 46%] Linking C shared module libdarkroom.so
[ 46%] Built target darkroom
make: *** [Makefile:156: all] Error 2

Previously I have used the same commands and the installation worked but I don’t have enough knowledge to interpret and correct this error. I did review the makefile and line 156 does include the work “all” but I don’t understand how to proceed?

I think the relevant bit in the make output is before this line:

What you show is the part after the error appeared, where make is cleaning up. The parts shown there seem to have finished without errors.

This is a super release, the amount of work done in 6 months by the devs ream is just unbelievable.
Kudos to all and many thanks!

2 Likes

Maybe delete the build folder first, and start a clean build from scratch.

1 Like

This is an amazing release; a big thank you to all contributors!

1 Like

Though not using dt, being an RT dev, I am glad that some of the RT goodies (RCD demosaic, dual demosaic, Contrast threshold (detail) mask have been portet from RT to dt.

Thanks to @hannoschwalm for this work :+1:

Looking forward for the LMMSE demosaic in next dt release

11 Likes

I re-ran the code:
/usr/bin/ld: libdarktable.so: undefined reference to `Exiv2::IptcKey::IptcKey(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator >)’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/CMakeFiles/darktable.dir/build.make:192: bin/darktable] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1762: bin/CMakeFiles/darktable.dir/all] Error 2

It seems to be related to exiv2. At one point I tried to update to the newest release so maybe it’s related to that in some way.

Many thanks to all those involved in this project. You are doing a great job. I have one question. Will Darktable 3.6 have a Polish version? There always has been, and this time there is not.

Absolutely brilliant. Well done and thank you so much to the Devs.

Thanks to the developers. Thank you for bringing us a bit of science (colour science) in order to develop our creativity.

Cheers

1 Like