darktable 3.6: Summer Release 2021

Yes, I totally understand … but I can tell you that I have been using the git versions for a very long time with minimal ‘techie’ know-how and have never had a more stable system with less problems.
Since you are new to Manjaro I would recommend using the very basic XFCE desktop rather than Gnome.

Cool, thanks.

I have a previous relationship with XFCE, but when they decided to go full-on client side decorations (CSD) it was clear to I might as well try Gnome and KDE.

Everything in master should be in the next stable release. Master is not an experimental or disposable branch. Experimental stuff stays in pull requests.

Thanks, good to know!

The Windows Version 3.6.0.1 recently posted has now fixed the issue I had mentioned earlier. I must thank the programming team for all of your efforts with the development of Darktable 3.6 :ok_hand: :clap: :clap: . I am a truly happy camper.

2 Likes

Thank you for another great release. I have finally found the Color Balance RGB module very useful ;-). Also the subtle changes to Filmic curve seem to work better for me.

The only problem that I have found is that on my old PC (with Ubuntu 20.04) the new version is noticeably slower than 3.4. This is a bit strange, since I am still using the same modules (with an addition of Color Balance RGB).

Get a decent gpu for the pc, configure it appropiately and you will notice a great boost.

If you have a discrete gpu or integrated one that is not so bad, you can configure it to help in previews and thumbnail generation, thus you won’t need a gpu yoo capable.

I have a nvidia 1050 ti with quite good results and i tested nvidia 1650 with better results.

You can try running darktable -d perf -d opencl to check where it’s getting slow. If you still have 3.4, you can try back to back comparisons on the same image.

darktable 3.6 is now in the Manjaro stable update 2021-07-13.

1 Like

AS an NCSA I get these requests occasionally and sometimes what we will do is is install personally as an admin without shutting off UAC so everybody wins. UAC stays on and you get your DT…

As far as DT for Windows goes this may sway some potential users away which would be a real shame if that was the only reason they could not experience this fantastic software. Maybe some kind of popup explaining the whole Run Anyway situation (Hash verification is probably a little beyond the average user)…

It is not just a problem of restricted corporate pilicies.
I had the same problem at home.
Seems that the exe is not properly signed and windows refuses to install it and throws an advertuzement about potentially dangerous soft.

You can install it anyway by ignoring it but get a coupke more messages. It is not obvipus how to ignore the messages.

I think it will get worse as MS is trying to secure windiws and keep indeoendent developers not trusted away.

Changing policies is not for every user, and users in a corporate windows install usually cannot change policies.

1 Like

In windows you just need to know where to click in the dialog window. On a Mac you have to go to the system preferences after such a box appears to allow access to the file. On all platforms, there just has been too much crap so they are forced to come up with stuff like this.

The only problem is, in windows you can have a policy applied by a system administrator (in an enterprise network setting) that hides the ‘run anyway’ options.

I know not everybody has a choice in this, but for me it’s clear : if a device is also allowed to be used privately, it will not ever be bound to a windows server network because of policies set like this. If a device is not meant for private use, the system admin can set what he/she wants… I’ll get a device for private use anyway.

(it helps that i was ‘that system admin guy’ for years)

One quick question - I just upgraded from my trusty Sony a7rII to a7rIVa and the darktable wont open my raw files? Where seems to be the problem - there is no other difference between the rIV and rIVa then the LCD screen so why wont it open, rIV shojuld be supported???

Thanks for any useful thoughts,
Aleksander

sony in all their wisdom decided to change model name. darktable doesn’t do heuristic and “best guess” but does instead “i know ILCE-7RM4, don’t know any ILCE-7RM4a”

Such fun :roll_eyes:

So this means I can’t work on my photos for god knows when…

Is there a way to address this issue?

Thanks for the info,
Aleksander

As a workaround you could try to edit cameras.xml and noiseprofiles.json and replace all occurrencies of ILCE-7RM4 with ILCE-7RM4a.
Location of those files depends on your OS.
Do a backup of the old files first.

Actually… I can’t find any “camera support request” for Sony 7RM4a

can you check if there’s full sample set in raw.pixls.us ? if Not - please upload a full sample set and create camera supprort request according to Camera support · darktable-org/darktable Wiki · GitHub (section raw format support)

I just uploaded a raw file at raw.pixls.us and created a camera support request in Github.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers, A.

just got a reply in github, that the issue with rIVa has already been raised 4 days ago.

As I see it, it hasn`t been resolved yet…

Ah. But AFAIK that was incomplete. Please upload full set of samples.