darktable 3.8.0 released

Hi,

I am sure there are reasons why the developers have now split crop and rotation in two different modules.

Still, from my point of view, these two operations are strictly linked to each other from a logical point of view; they are always the first two steps in my workflow. Having to switch back and forth between the two new modules till I obtain a result I like is a bit annoying, particularly considering I usually identify only after several attempts which combination of crop & rotation works best.

Am I the only one to have this sort of issue?

(Being this my first post, however, let me conclude not with a complaint for something that does not work well for me. Instead, I would like to express my gratitude for the relentless effort put in the continuous improvement of darktable over so many years, and wish all developers and users the best for 2022.)

1 Like

Hi @esse.elle welcome to the forum!

I understand and I share your concerns to some extent but from a processing point of view these two operations are better placed at different points in the pipeline. In this case, the operations that might distort the image are placed together in a single module, before the retouch module so that the retouch module includes those correcting distortions. The crop module is placed after the retouch module so that the retouch module may access parts of the image outside of the cropped area. Placing operations that require interpolation (perspective and rotation) in the same module also has advantages for quality, I believe.

The split was done in order to correct these issues as well as to remove the crop & rotate module which was becoming increasingly difficult to develop, due to the many things it was trying to do at the same time.

There are, however, ways to improve your efficiency using a combination of keyboard shortcuts and/or the quick access panel. Personally I have a keyboard shortcut to toggle the focus of the crop module and another to toggle the focus of the rotate & perspective module. This way I can activate both modules quickly. Another option would be to assign a shortcut to just the rotation aspect of the rotate & perspective module allowing you to rotate while crop is active.

As an aside, people have similar issues with exposure and filmic, which may need to be adjusted together despite being separate modules. Again, here, keyboard shortcuts to adjust exposure are the solution, allowing you to keep filmic open while adjusting exposure.

5 Likes

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your kind and swift reply.

Indeed, I have to admit it is possibly just a question of getting used to a slightly adapted workflow. In this regard the new functionalities offered by shortcuts in 3.8 (I have not tested them thoroughly yet) are probably going to be a great help, too.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Yup, the plan is to replace channel mixer with color calibration, but the truth is I don’t use b&w presets very often, so the priority on my side really isn’t that high :wink:

Thank you all for the new DT version, :smiley:

By the way, the new default for denoising profiled is absolutely phenomenal I processed quite a lot of high ISO images lately, and I never changed the values.

1 Like

Everyone is a volunteer. Aurelian maybe gets enough donations to maybe cover some beers.

There is with you… You should really try harder to have some self awareness. The level of entitlement here is unacceptable.

Wrong. It is a hobby. A hobby is something you enjoy and don’t get paid for. Again, the sense of snark and entitlement without a hint of self awareness. Nobody owes you anything, not a working application, not the support you get here, not a computer either.

You got one comment, from me. But I also answered your question, you need exiv2 with BMFF support enabled. Your distro doesn’t provide that and you’re so triggered.

Where were you helpful? You think you helped debug this?

3 Likes

See my last post above. Problem solved in a reproducable automation.

Happy New Year everybody.

:fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

2 Likes

That´s somewhat irritating. Can pleeeeaaaaase somebody tell what i really need to do?
I HAVE, as I have written in post #71 build exiv in version 0.27.5. Anyway there is no CR3 support. So what to do now. I´m totally confused now!

@Popanz: exiv2 version 0.27.5 can be built with or without BMFF support – it has to be enabled when the package is built for CR3 to work. If your distribution has not enabled BMFF support it doesn’t matter what version you have, CR3 won’t work. I don’t know if your distribution has enabled it or not, but this is the first thing you need to check (sorry I don’t know how to do this).

Edit: I was looking at the wrong post and I see now you did state that you have BMFF support. I suspect that darktable also needs to be built against this (BMFF enabled) version of exiv2 but I’m not sure (still using CR2 files here).

I have not the version of my distribution but build it on my own, with the optipn BMFF support = On.

if i use exiv2 via cli, i can read CR3 files. So probably i have to tell darktable somehow, which exiv2 version it should use (I couldn´t emove the old version without removing a LOT of other packages as well. To be honest i am somewhat lost. I have as well the OBS repo enabled, which is - as I understood - as well delivering exiv2 in the correct version and with BMFF support enabled. Or have i missundertood the whole thing? So is here anybody who can tell me what exactly is the right thing to do on a ubuntu derivat.

Edit, now you edited your post before me :wink:

1 Like

If you are using the obs package of darktable, it is likely looking at the repo installed version of exiv2, as that is likely what is on your $PATH.

You need to build DT and use cmake to point it at your exiv2 version, or find out if the flatpak has BMFF turned on. Or see if you can get exiv2 from the OBS repo.

We need help with Ubuntu packaging, and people just solving it for themselves, as evident earlier in this thread, isn’t really helping over all.

1 Like

Thank you for this for me really helpful reply. Unfortunately I fear, my answer is not as helpful for you. I fear my Linux knowledge is far away from being good enough to help you build you with the ubuntu build.

Or maybe just all give some time to repo managers to fix the issues ? Meaning waiting for the holidays to finish ?

Otherwise, self-building dt is not that hard and full documented on https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable’s readme. There is a script doing pretty much all the job for you, except installing dependencies. You might also get better performance out of the self-compiled binary because it will use all available optimizations for your own CPU.

I get that it’s frustrating to not have dt 3.8 working on Christmas day, but we didn’t revoke your 3.6 license on december 25th.

6 Likes

I already wrote, that I have absolutely no pain in waiting. I was just somehow afraid, that waiting will not help, after MStatens reply to me. You guys did a trmendous job and if I get CR3 support in February I get it in February or whenever. Thanx and a happy 2022.

1 Like

Just about 2 hours in and I’m already blown away - my workflow completely changed, organically, to much better results in a way shorter time. I cannot explain it, but somehow all my previous workarounds are somewhat unneeded now. It almost feels like I used darktable in the wrong way before. Filmic and exposure work together way more harmonically, the default settings are almost always spot on. So far I’m amazed. I don’t know the underlying program changes in that regard, but something was changed, right?

I already pledged another year of donations before the release, but right now I’m considering increasing them. Can’t wait to revisit old favourite pictures of mine.

Many thanks to the whole dev team, you’re amazing!

4 Likes

where the heck heck have you found a donation link?
I´m using darktable now for a very long time, but I have never found a possibility to make a donatioan to show my gratidude.

You can donate directly to @anon41087856 at aurelienpierre's profile - Liberapay

2 Likes

Thanks for this explanation. I’m in team “decide early what the image should include”.

Just because the crop module operates late in the pixel pipeline, doesn’t mean you can’t set up that crop early in your editing process.

But if you crop early on, keep in mind that you may want to disable it while you use the retouch module: you can’t select a source region you can’t see, and sometimes it can come in handy to pick the source region outside your crop.

2 Likes