darktable 3.8.0 released

We’re proud to announce the new feature release of darktable, 3.8.0! The github release is here: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/tag/release-3.8.0. As always, please don’t use the autogenerated tarball provided by github, but only our tar.xz file. the checksums are: $ sha256sum darktable-3.8.0.tar.xz 2e65c7c78d074ad218e3ef7a8c3051a8ea78f4a0406386667859645e5e4bf705 darktable-3.8.0.tar.xz $ sha256sum darktable-3.8.0.dmg fe1f1100bf3ca1acc11f69e2ffc6dbb58d11449ed85c086e0ecc52d5acb78e24 darktable-3.8.0.dmg $ sha256sum darktable-3.8.0-win64.exe c74d76f9feefc5648c41938bf430b261d3a3308df0ef87085be590b5a5d1110d darktable-3.8.0-win64.exe When updating from the currently stable 3.6.x series, please bear in mind that your edits will be preserved during this process, but the new library and configuration will not be usable with 3.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.darktable.org/2021/12/darktable-3.8.0-released/
38 Likes

The article auto publication seems to have stripped down some parts, read the full article here:

https://www.darktable.org/2021/12/darktable-3.8.0-released/

10 Likes

Good job! Congratulations! Rejoice! :evergreen_tree::fireworks:

My favorite Christmas tradition :smiley: congrats to all!!! :christmas_tree:

1 Like

I spent the past two weeks comparing Darktable 3.8 to Lightroom, ON1, and Luminar AI on my Macbook Air M1.

Lightroom and ON1 run in Apple Silicon natively. Darktable is faster running in Rosetta 2 than both of those.

Luminar AI also runs in Rosetta 2 and Darktable is much faster.

The Collections and sorting options of Darktable are far superior to all three commercial tools. The color management, masking, and tools are also superior.

Adobe installs all kinds of folders and files on your computer even after you delete their applications. It is invasive.

This new version of Darktable is not only Free it is also the best photo editor on Mac IMHO.

Well done team! Thanks for another fantastic release.

**edit: I had some problems with 3.8.0 on my Mac that I could not reproduce with one of the recent git master builds from Martin. DT hangs when trying to open some RAW and JPEG files from my external drive. I have to force quit it. Am back on darktable-3.7.0+1656 and it does not have this problem.

12 Likes

I can’t help but thank everyone who develops, contributes and supports peoples, … this woderful application.
Thanks again, and best wishes for a happy Christmas.

This is amazing guys! Thank you everyone for your hard work, I appreciate it very much! Darktable is progressing at the speed of light :smiley:

It doesn’t make sense to compare runtimes between apps if they don’t use the same algos. You can cut corners, do 8 bits arithmetic with precomputed LUTs everywhere and use simplified inaccurate color models and make it much faster than any app using 32 bits float pipeline with color models like JzAzBz and so on.

The only relevant property is the ability for the user to get exactly the desired results without compromising. Then, accurate and powerful algos tend to be slow because life is a bitch.

2 Likes

Well, it made sense to me as a Linux user for 14 years without the possibility to evaluate Mac OS applications. I’m not a developer and my life isn’t a bitch/bastard either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What I meant was the responsivity vs. accuracy trade-off is a design choice that every app drives depending on its own priorities and knowing the cost, but it’s really not a metric of quality. Of course, if the same algos are implemented, then you can compare how clever the implementation was, but since proprietary soft doesn’t advertise the underlying computations, you will never know.

2 Likes

How long does it usually take for deb packages to show up on OBS? The latest is still 3.6 there.

The source code release was 4h ago, if I’m not mistaken. Then the binaries have to be build and checked. Some of the people responsable for those binary releases might still be asleep (different time-zones). I usually wait a few days before I even begin looking for updated packages…

Bottom line: it’s a volunteer effort, so packages will appear when there’s time build them.
Usually, I find they arrive very fast, but…

1 Like

I am of course aware of this — just asking, not complaining about anything.

1 Like

The source code was actually tagged over a week ago in order to give packagers time to build. Ah well.

1 Like

Fantastic release! I’ve been looking forward to this for weeks!

The improved Filmic sliders, new default LUT pipeline placement, and above all, the new shortcuts truly made my day!

The shortcuts handily addressed the main reason I still used Capture One every now and then. Finally I can begin cropping with a single key stroke, and adjust my most used sliders by holding a key and moving the mouse. Brilliant!

I hope I’ll find time to actually contribute next year.

1 Like

True, but I don’t think the developers would have liked seeing 3.8.0 packages appear before the official release? So there will be a delay between oficial announcement of the new version and the apparition of packages “in the wild”.

And in practice, I find that new releases take a day or two to appear in the repository I use. Which I find quite fast, even with a week’s lead time (in a busy period of the year for most).

Last year, for Fedora, I saw the new package on Christmas Day. But I’m not sure if that was the official Fedora repository, or a private one (in which case I no longer have it).

Thanks so much once again to all developers for continuously pushing this software to the next edge. Merry x-mas and a happy new year to all of you here in this forum :christmas_tree:

Out of curiosity, is this just a new default position in the module order, or has something more changed internally? To me placing it as the last module (before output color profile) makes most sense as the LUT acts as a shared boundary for my edits. Will keeping it in that same last position as I’m used to result in another rendering of my raw file in 3.8.0?

I can see 3.8 there now.

1 Like