darktable 4.2.0 released

One question, looking at the image (screenshot of the processing menu), would it be advisable to disable the storage of previews and thumbnails so that the program runs more smoothly?

Another question. Working on Windows, where are the caches stored?

That would be the opposite, it will run slower as the thumbs/previews would have to be recomputed each time. Better use some disk space in this case.

1 Like

Ok thanks, makes sense

Thank to all contributors: developers, testers, translators, …
Like past years you gave me a Christmas gift !

Thanks for the great release. Big thank you to all contributors and to the amazing community here.

Wish you all a merry Christmas!

Thank you all for the amazing work!

Thanks a lot for another great improvement.

I noticed the the size of color assessment frame was enlarged. Is it possible to modify it? I have not found it in dt settings.

Nope :slight_smile: We looked up docs and recommendations on “how to do proper color assessment” and implemented accordingly (while fixing resizing problems).

An alternative is to use a white frame in the framing module

Thanks a lot for the new release! I’m a devoted DT user since v0.6!
However, I’ve noticed few things to improve.

1. Couldn’t find how to set sigmoid to default instead of filmic. I expected such an option in preferences menu but apparently it’s not there.
  2. The balanced “OpenCL vs CPU” tiling went wrong. If darktable resource = large and OpenCL scheduling profile = default are set it estimates GPU time ~95s CPU ~5.5s but in fact it takes about 10 min (x100 vs estimation) istead! Setting darktable resource = unrestricted and OpenCL scheduling profile = very fast GPU disables this mode so works as a workaround to me speeding up export with upscaling x5! (16G RAM 8GB Radeon Ellesmere GPU).

Anyway, DT is really getting better and better with every release, so thanks again!

We’re kinda moving away from using preference options to auto-enable things. If you want to disable filmic and enable sigmoid you should set your workflow (preferences > processing > auto-apply pixel workflow defaults) to “none” and then set up an automatically-applying preset to enable sigmoid.

4 Likes

Can you explain in more detail? The GPU/CPU balancing is disabled by default.

I couldn’t find how to enable/disable it. However, it was obviously on. In the first place I noticed huge time to export photo, so I started dt with -d opencl -d perf and looked into the log (unfortunately I did not tee’d the output so it’s lost). I saw the statement that dt estimates CPU to be more effective so it was chosen for processing.
Now I reversed the changes and am trying to make it use tiling to reproduce the previous state and store the log into file. But it doesn’t use tiling anymore… weird…

This new setting is

1. certainly off by default; you must change the last parameter in the device specific conf key - maybe you did something wrong there ???
  2. Simply don’t understand what you measured. To setup you have to manually measure performance for cpu and cl code paths!
  3. Docs on this are getting prepared, first draft is a pr in dtdocs just now.
  1. Haven’t touched it… Currently it reads as
    cldevice_v4_gfx803=1 150 0 16 16 1024 1 0 0.033319 0.000
    if I understand correctly what you meant.
  2. l look at numbers in lines such as
    1083.313032 [dev_pixelpipe] took 65.222 secs (3.772 CPU) [export] processed diffuse or sharpen LC’ on GPU with tiling, blended on CPU`
    However, I did not measure anything. When I looked into the log, there was a line saying that DT had estimated GPU vs CPU and chose CPU for processing (sorry I can’t recall exact wording). And some numbers were given in this statement as estimated processed times.
  3. That’s okey. Will have a look there… or just wait.

UPD: That was the first run of 4.2. May be some surplus or whatever…

The “avoid atomics” setting looks strange, also micro nap is not default. Are you sure you didn’t do anything on this?

Ok, but why, though?
It would make sense to me that I could easily set my preference for this since it is a basic workflow and I have a choice between two equally good options.
Setting up styles seems somewhat roundabout.
Anyway, thanks for giving me all these great options to choose from :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I think “avoid atomics” and “micro nap” most probably are a surplus from HD7770/fglrx times. So I did touch these two a decade ago or so… However I doubt these are involved. I may reset them to defaults, though.

There is an issue tracking work going into this topic: [RFC] : rework / simplify the workflows support · Issue #12917 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

I didn’t have the time to propose something solid before the release so it’s on the to-do for the next. We will see where we end up in the long run.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree that sigmoid as default option is a good choice. When someone needs more control in difficult cases one may switch to filmic. So maybe the opportunity to quickly switch by a shortcut or a mouse click will be convenient.