darktable 4.2.0 released

Great! Thanks for the feedback!

Hanno: Can you double check on master? It does seem like twice as big as I remember in the past or the image in the user manual. Maybe a bug.

I don’t understand, what is twice as big?

I think the color assessment frame… unless I’ve lost track :grinning:
I haven’t really noticed the change tbh!

I noticed a change some time ago with a build between 4.1.0 and 4.2

Actually the width of the white frame seems to be the same, but the grey area around it definitely got smaller. I preferred the old size, as it also enabled better checking of middle grey …

Grey width around image is set on preferences, darkroom tab. You can set it as you want. I don’t remember seeing changes for that on darktable code recently.

1 Like

Pretty big difference. This isn’t precisely an apples-to-apples comparison but it’s clear. User manual on left, my 4.2 dev screen on right:

User manual is not fully up to date, so.

The white border used to be: d->border_size = 0.125 * d->width;

PR 12462 change it to:
return MIN(1.75 * darktable.gui->dpi, 0.3 * MIN(d->width, d->height));

I think the 0.125 to 0.3 explains the difference from what it used to be. The ISO 12646 goes into details of the view angle, 160cdm luminance, and the colors; but I’m not finding details around the amount of white border.

This is what it looks like for me with 4.2 - strange, very different width of the white frame.
iMac 27" Retina (5120 × 2880)

Image border is set to the default width of 10, but some other (apparently fixed) value is used in color assessment mode:

Image border width set to 300, color assessment modes stays the same:

That setting does not seem to apply for color assessment mode, see posting above.

To my taste, 0.125 was too small, 0.3 is a little too big :slightly_smiling_face:
I vote for 0.2 or so.

Hi , I got two questions:

Is 4.2 already in the OBS repos?
Will it install “over” the existing dt, keeping the preferences or will I start at zero?

Yeah, stupid stuff, but I am a user not a developer ;o)

4.2 is already on OBS except for 22.10 (see thread on why)

1 Like

Thank you.

Very good release!
I quite enjoy it. The new highlight reconstruction “inpaint opposed” works very well for me.
I also very much like the properties within the mask manager.

One suggestion if I may.
In retouch module - when I select active blur and brush (in continuous mode - ctrl+click) - the transparency control does not appear in the mask manager - properties.

It would be very nice if it can be added.

The transparency control does appear if the mode is not continuous.

PopOS 22.04

Those retouch shapes aren’t handled with mask manager …

I am not entirely sure about that. But I can see what is happening.

When a brush is selected - after it is released - it moves to the selection arrow (and the opacity appears)

When it is in continuous mode - the brush stays selected and the opacity is missing

Still - it would be very nice to have the opacity present in the properties window - even in continuous mode.

Which cameras are supported? How does it work?

Hi, has anything changed since the release? Is the weblate project updated? I can’t find sigmoid page to be translated… that’s a pity…