darktable 4.2.0 released

I noticed a change some time ago with a build between 4.1.0 and 4.2

Actually the width of the white frame seems to be the same, but the grey area around it definitely got smaller. I preferred the old size, as it also enabled better checking of middle grey …

Grey width around image is set on preferences, darkroom tab. You can set it as you want. I don’t remember seeing changes for that on darktable code recently.

1 Like

Pretty big difference. This isn’t precisely an apples-to-apples comparison but it’s clear. User manual on left, my 4.2 dev screen on right:

User manual is not fully up to date, so.

The white border used to be: d->border_size = 0.125 * d->width;

PR 12462 change it to:
return MIN(1.75 * darktable.gui->dpi, 0.3 * MIN(d->width, d->height));

I think the 0.125 to 0.3 explains the difference from what it used to be. The ISO 12646 goes into details of the view angle, 160cdm luminance, and the colors; but I’m not finding details around the amount of white border.

This is what it looks like for me with 4.2 - strange, very different width of the white frame.
iMac 27" Retina (5120 × 2880)

Image border is set to the default width of 10, but some other (apparently fixed) value is used in color assessment mode:

Image border width set to 300, color assessment modes stays the same:

That setting does not seem to apply for color assessment mode, see posting above.

To my taste, 0.125 was too small, 0.3 is a little too big :slightly_smiling_face:
I vote for 0.2 or so.

Hi , I got two questions:

Is 4.2 already in the OBS repos?
Will it install “over” the existing dt, keeping the preferences or will I start at zero?

Yeah, stupid stuff, but I am a user not a developer ;o)

4.2 is already on OBS except for 22.10 (see thread on why)

1 Like

Thank you.

Very good release!
I quite enjoy it. The new highlight reconstruction “inpaint opposed” works very well for me.
I also very much like the properties within the mask manager.

One suggestion if I may.
In retouch module - when I select active blur and brush (in continuous mode - ctrl+click) - the transparency control does not appear in the mask manager - properties.

It would be very nice if it can be added.

The transparency control does appear if the mode is not continuous.

PopOS 22.04

Those retouch shapes aren’t handled with mask manager …

I am not entirely sure about that. But I can see what is happening.

When a brush is selected - after it is released - it moves to the selection arrow (and the opacity appears)

When it is in continuous mode - the brush stays selected and the opacity is missing

Still - it would be very nice to have the opacity present in the properties window - even in continuous mode.

Which cameras are supported? How does it work?

Hi, has anything changed since the release? Is the weblate project updated? I can’t find sigmoid page to be translated… that’s a pity…

The English docs are not done, so it has not been made available to translate. Any help with the English is appreciated.

@paperdigits I’d be glad to help. Where to start? I read the documentation about contributing but it seems to me to tell very little about missing pieces or getting organized…

A bit of a shame that the lens correction now defaults to this embedded data, while the correction done doesn’t seem to be correct. At least switching it back to lensfun seems to get better results.

I can’t seem to figure out how to set lens correction to default to lensfun. Yes i can make a present to auto apply , but then it doesn’t auto detect the lens anymore.

Could you show an example? (And share the raw?)

It might be there is a flaw / bug in the module so worth to check. I can only speak personally for the dng stuff though.

2 Likes