Darktable 4.6.1 copy and paste masked parts between two images

Today I encountered the problem of replacing/healing a part in a image by the similar part of the second image. I wonder, if this is possible.

This part of one image:

should be replaced/healed by that part of another image:

Any suggestion is welcome.

Regards,
Mustafa

1 Like

I really don’t think so… Given the nature of Darktable’s pipeline I’m not sure it will be, my best bet would be exporting this to GIMP and do this there.

Next darktable release will have a feature to use an image as an overlay using masks. But if the images doesn’t exactly match then better use gimp for this use case.
darktable is a raw processor, not a full blown image editor

1 Like

Hi @MStraeten this sounds very interesting. I presume this is in the retouch module, but maybe my brain is being too limited here because I could see this might be used for combining bracketed exposures that align. Do you have any idea when it will appear in the weekly builds for windows?

its already there have a look at overlay module

OMG, this is amazing. I just opened two bracketed exposures of a waterfall. One is dark and does the better exposure for the top of the waterfall, the other is brighter and does the better job of the base of the waterfall. This overlay module has allowed me to combine the best of both using a gradient mask. This is something I used to do in GIMP, but now I can do it in DT. Truly amazing.

3 Likes

Thank you Martin for the information on that new exciting feature!

I hope it’s not an early onset of Alzheimer’s, but I just can’t find the overlay module. Can you give me a hint (and yes, I have had a look at the manual). I’m using DT 4.6.1.

1 Like

You might need to build it or use a nightly build for your OS… I think it was merged in Jan or after the last official release…

1 Like

Thank you for the fast reply.
I’ll try it and also will cancel the appointment with the neurologist :wink:

1 Like

I’ve used Hugin for this kind of thing. It allows selecting parts of an image for exclusion or inclusion in the final composite. You can also align images with it (useful when your shots are handheld…).

2 Likes

It’s not in 4.6 manual, if you search or show all mods, it is there. Made some creepy double exposure photos with it.

1 Like

If you want to try it, you’ll either have to wait for the release of DT 4.8 or use the development version.

1 Like

I am on a Windows computer and use the weekly builds for Windows that turn up here most Mondays. It is in that version.

Where does one drag and drop an image from, in the new overlay module?

Seems silly but I’m baffled - can’t drag from light table, nor from the file manager…

Images along the screen bottom. Grab and drag.

1 Like

Oh, of course. I normally always have the filmstrip hidden, so I didn’t think of that!

I knew I must have overlooked something…

Same here. I’ve raised a feature request to have a non-filmstrip method, though I guess we could just have something in the module that temporarily enables the filmstrip when that module is active?

I have to say, I’m still not entirely convinced this sort of thing isn’t best left to editors like GIMP.

I don’t know - I don’t think I’ll use it much, but I certainly don’t have any objection to having there either. :slight_smile:
I wonder if this module could one day in the distant future be expanded to allow pano stitching and HDR merging. I feel like it’s already close to doing some of that in a simplistic form…

If i understood it correctly, a change of name to “composite” is already on the chart.

That could be a first step in the direction requested