darktable 4.6.1 released

It does not. Says “placeholder”. In addition, explicitly says supported="no".

Good - can now open Samsung S23 raw files.

Not so good - the images are far darker in darkroom than in lighttable.

Probably because the lighttable is showing the internal jpeg preview. Try setting “preferences > lighttable > use raw file instead of embedded JPEG from size” to “always”

Now all my dng’s are dark in lighttable! Actually, there must be something I did to the phone (S23) settings because I checked some dng’s taken earlier from the phone and they looked as expected.

Something I noted using Expert RAW is that it is not easy to reset to default settings.

Thanks for the tip.

Expect them to be dull and lifeless… LT shoes you a jpg preview… In DT you need to add basically all the tone and color…other editors will apply a profile to do that out of the gate… And likely knowing Samsung they add so much saturation that if you don’t amp up the raw files they won’t come close

Sorry for asking again, but when can w expect the OBS repositories to get updated?

From now on should we favour the Flatpak version?

Basically, whenever the maintainer for the OBS repository feels like it/has time for it.

But, if you have a reasonably current and common distribution, compiling dt yourself is not all that hard, if you go about it systematically (and the first time is by far the longest, due to the dependencies; you will miss one or two :wink: )
(If you use a uncommon distribution, you may run into libraries that are not provided, or too old;
if your distribution is too old, you’ll have version problems that may not be solvable)

Given the issues that appear with flatpak, I switched to compiling my own. To be fair, I do have some background in CS, and compiling, which helps…
If you decide to go that way, make sure you have GCC (version 12 or later) installed (both the C and C++ compiler and libraries). Even if your distribution installs GCC automatically, it can be a much older version (for me, the "system’ version is 7.x.x)

Makes sense :slightly_smiling_face: I was wondering it there were issue with that build (as I remember it happened a one or two years ago)

It’s not, I do that sometimes to compile the stuff from master, but for some reason I prefer to keep using the official packages for the “real thing”.

That’s the impression I had, I’ll hold on moving to flatpak for now.

Thanks!

I checked the OBS-pages just now, and 4.6.1 is now on offer. :slight_smile:

Thanks to those who got the update in place! :clap:

Just started with it, very nice! Noticed that we now have support for OM-1, and: I get really nice colours! With E-M1 II i preferred to export a tif with olympus software and then work on it, but here using the raw directly seems to work real nice for me. Cheers to the developers!

1 Like