darktable 4.6 cashes in darkroom

When I try to open darkroom to treat an image in darktable, in some images (not all of them) of my new Canon EOS R7, it just crahes; as far as I noticed, it doesn’t occur with any other camera model, I don’t know if there’s anything to do with the camera, but I leave here this additional information.

We need the crash/debug log please.

A video is not that useful. We need the specific raw file and xmp along with a -d common log.

Yes I had this problem too with my Canon R7 CR3 files. My solution which has worked for a long time is to set open cl to use all device memory. I would be interested in how that goes for you. I hope it solves your problem. My problem only occurred when using the threshold slider for masking. I am providing this information only as a possible solution to the OP and am not starting a discussion about my issue.

1 Like

Please start a new thread with your issue, images and log instead of confusing this one.

I am providing this information only as a possible solution to the OP and am not starting a discussion about my issue. I have edited my reply to try and clarify that.

1 Like

I would never advise people to use the All memory flag. It can lead to problems when the system tries to use GPU memory it is already used. It is likely not a fix to the issue you had using the development version. The mask threshold was fixed before 4.6.

1 Like

Hi @joaotaveira . Looking at your video I wonder if it is an issue with openCL. Try disabling openCL in preferences and see if this resolves the issue of crashing. If it does solve the problem it is not a fix but at least heads us in the right direction for where the problem lies. I feel your issue and my issue which only happens with my Canon R7 CR3 files are two different problems.

We don’t need to wonder. A log/image/xmp, as we already requested, will guide to finding the root cause.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! No-one should do so :slight_smile: This is never a good way trying to fix a problem, if there is a genuine problem with darktables CL code not calculating required memory correctly we must identify the problem and fix it. We did so many - many times over the last years.

I know we have a strict “be kind” policy on this forum and i hope i don’t offend you @Terry. Just to let you know, we have had loads of issues related to exactly this problem, people following such advice, everything seemed to be fine and suddenly BANG, off it goes.

I fully understand, people new to darktable want the best performance they can get. They follow users advice and are very happy with resources set to maximum for the first weeks and never have a problem. Then they start to get into dt, see some videos from our mask magician and try to reproduce. They get into d&s module and start dragging the sliders - we all did so i think. Whow - that looks really cool but it takes so long … Crash happening.

What will the new user do? Any chance he/she remembers that setting in preferences done two months ago could be the culprit? Or running dt proudly and wanting to share some images? Open Firefox with some windows for the email, chat … and suddenly dt bangs again. Same story, same problem, other symptom

I have been working on dt OpenCL code for some years now and thus worked on a load - and did a fix - of dt github issues. Leaving amd, rolling distros and windows issues aside, taking too much of cl memory is on the very top of the list.

I would appreciate it a lot if you and all experienced users would give advice: 1. Try to keep with preferences defaults 2. Suggest to read the manual on such tricky topics.

BTW: the mentioned issues with details and mask blending have been fixed in 4.6

5 Likes

Thanks @hannoschwalm , I take no offence and apologise for giving poor advice here when more qualified people are already replying. I agree that if @joaotaveira provides the requested log file that he has the best chance of getting the support he needs to resolve the problem. BTW, I only this week updated my Nvidia drive and installed 4.6 from the download page for windows. My problem with the details thresholds slider persists and causes a crash. I guess I should try and get a crash report and share it on a new thread. Using all memory prevents the crash. Not wanting to hijack this thread I will start a new thread when I have a crash report log to share. I hope you can resolve @joaotaveira problem.

3 Likes

I think the issue has been fixed for dt 4.6.1 and master. In fact quite an old bug.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I did that and it solved my problem.

Sorry but, I don’t give a **** for all that technical stuff that I don’t understand. The only thing that matters to me is if something works or not and it does. Besides, if the option is there, is because is safe if it wouldn’t be safe, it wouldn’t be there. I hope you don’t offend.

It was not a poor advice at all! It just worked! If it wouldn’t be safe the option wouldn’t be there. Thanks again for the solution.

I submitted a bug report in a separate thread and @hannoschwalm kindly looked into the problem and rewrote the code to prevent the crash occurring. The solution I proposed of activating all memory is not really a solution but just a work around. Without my crash report the developers like @hannoschwalm can’t do much. I currently run the windows weekly build of 4.7 and the problem is fixed so the next release of V4.8 should prove stable for you. Please speak nicely to the developers they are just volunteers doing a great job. I am glad DT is working for you.

1 Like

@hannoschwalm said that it was already solved in 4.6.1, I think it is ok to deactivate that option. Thanks anyway.

I really didn’t mean to be rude, I hope you undestand that. I just want to say that I just want something that just work. Should not be nee to make a degree to use a piece of software.

The problem you had and the problem I had may have been very different. Your problem may have been fixed in 4.6.1 but my problem was fixed in 4.7. My crash only occurred when using the details slider for masking in the diffuse or sharpen module.

3 Likes

While that is certainly an ideal to aspire to, sadly it does not always match reality.

1 Like