Darktable and the Windows 11 Clipboard - bug or normal?

Just curious…

I’ve noticed for quite some time (a year or more) that “sometimes” when darktable is running in the background the normal OS copy-paste functionality doesn’t work, in Firefox or (IIRC) Windows Explorer either.

I think it’s usually after using the copy-paste history stack in darktable that it happens, but I’ve always only noticed when I’m in the middle of something and have never tried to actually isolate it.

I can do so, if need be but I’m kind of assuming it’s expected behaviour that I just don’t understand.
Same on both my AMD laptop and Intel/Nvidia PC.

Currently running weekly build 4.7.0+852~gf0c81ac018 but as mentioned above it’s been the same over multiple releases, maybe always.

Any enlightenment, anyone?

I think there is an issue in github around this. It seems like windows runs out of space to keep data in the clipboard. I don’t think there is a known solution.

1 Like

I couldn’t replicate this problem on my Windows 11 laptop. Copy and paste function continues working fine for me.

1 Like

Thanks @g-man - I’ll have a look in Github later, out of interest.

@Terry, that’s interesting. I wonder if maybe it’s only after many consecutive copy-pastes in dt, or large history stacks.

If I ever notice it I will let you know.

1 Like

This problem is so annoying. I have it about 1-2 times a day (when working with darktable) - I’m on windows 10. I thought it’s something to do with my computer :man_shrugging:

When it occurs, I have a powershell script that “repairs” the clipboard:

echo "Restarting Service"
restart-service -displayname "Clipboard*"
sleep 2

echo "Magic clip stuff..."
cmd /c "echo off |clip"
sleep 2

echo "Restarting Service again"
restart-service -displayname "Clipboard*"
sleep 2

echo "Done"

It must be run as admin to work, and darktable must be closed, and, I’m not completly sure, how the service is called in the english version, it’s the part where it says "Clipboard"* - in my Version it is called "Zwischenablage"*, so it should be clipboard :man_shrugging: Anyways, you can try it out, if you are brave enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, glad it’s not just me! :wink:

I’ll try the script sometime… looks good.