Darktable camera style for EOS R

Just updated to the current Master and see something new to me: darktable camera styles. There seems to be stlyes for many of the EOS R model cameras but not for the original EOS R camera. Can one be added to the list?

I’m sure it could but the styles are quite simple and just offered to perhaps give some intial help to be a bit closer to the camera jpg’s… I suspect if you look many of the styles will be very similar… there is no magic math there unique to each camera…

According to the PR they were hand tuned using samples from raw.pixls.us, so when that site is back up, make sure there is a sample. Or go comment on the PR thread.

They all generally consist of setting for exposure, then local contrast added (default settings from the ones that I have looked at), filmic white and black points adjusted and contrast and saturation slider in the look tab, and then rgb colorbalance instance with an adjustment to vibrance and saturation. So 5 or 6 tweaks… as you say though hand tuned and so a massive undertaking to go through it for all those camera’s… But it should be easy to see how variable the numbers are for similar camera’s and to tweak it for a camera that is not on the list…

Or manually create a the styles like Ralf did and submit them to dt in a new PR.

FYI Ralf manually created all those styles per the PR.

2 Likes

Hence my comment above…“massive undertaking”… but also he reveals how a few simple adjustments can be put in place to get to a place that so many complain about… :slight_smile:

I’m going to play around with the R? series style just to see what it offers.

I learnt a lot from looking at what he implemented in the styles. I then used his to create my own version that included sharpening and denoising. It was a huge undertaking on his part and I for one appreciate the effort he put in.

I looked at a few of the Canon R styles…so it would appear if you set the exposure from 1 to 1.2 EV and FIlmic white at 5EV and adjust black to taste (-7.5 to -4 were in the 6 or 7 I looked at), with slope at 1.3 it seems many of those version use these settings …then just add local contrast default and tweak vibrance and saturation sliders in RGB_CB to taste…