darktable-cli export 16bit image

how to export 16bit tiff with darktable-cli? I tried with --bpp 16.

from darktable manual (https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/overview_chapter.html#darktable_cli_commandline_parameters):

–bpp

An optional parameter to define the bit depth of the exported image; allowed values depend on the file format. Currently this option is not yet functional. If you need to define the bit depth you need to use the following workaround:

–core --conf plugins/imageio/format//bpp=

where is the name of the selected output format.

1 Like

I’m on a mac (V12.0.1) running darktable-cli (V3.8.1) and this doesn’t work:

darktable-cli source dir xmp output dir --core --conf plugins/imageio/format//tif/bpp=16

I can get a tiff via:

darktable-cli source dir xmp output dir --out-ext tiff

However I am unable to generate a 16 bit tiff, only 8 bit.

Any ideas brains trust?

Do you need the command line…you could just create an export preset and bulk export from the GUI…perhaps you have a need for cli??

EDIT I can’t get either to work on WIndows as the / slash is introduce with $Filename for multiple files but if you get that to work…in your tablerc file the default for tiff is 8 bit …maybe change that to 16 and then use the cmd that you have working …search imageio in your tablerc file and you will see the line…I can’t test it but it might work…

Hi Tod,

Yes need cli as batch processing 1000’s of images at a time.

Cam

Did you verify that the --bpp option still does not work as advertised in the manual?
The original question dates from 2019…

Missing an ‘f’, as in ‘tiff’?

1 Like

For me the issue seems the forward slash when I try to do a batch in Windows…I specify the input and output folder with double \ which seems to work however the error text is something like output dir with \ as you would expect for each level and then tagged at the end it says expecting /$(FILE_NAME).

I many have missed something it was late when I tried last night…

I was, however still only outputting .jpg (same as source file) so conversion to tif(f) not working.

Windows supports both backslash and forward slash as path separator.

The Microsoft Windows family of operating systems inherited the MS-DOS behavior and so still support either character – but individual Windows programs and sub-systems may, wrongly, only accept the backslash as a path delimiter, or may misinterpret a forward slash if it is used as such.

I likely have the syntax wrong but from the output I get…I was thinking it was an issue with the direction of the slash that is passed from the export command when trying to do a batch export from a folder…

You have a double slash in ...format//tiff/....
I think this should be with a single slash and double ‘f’ in ‘tiff’:
–conf plugins/imageio/format/tiff/bpp=16

darktable is telling the output pattern ends with .jpg, so I don’t think the setting is used, though.

Ya I took that attempt from the OP but I have tried all possible combinations including switching to all forward slashes and nothing seems to work… at least in Windows and for me…I could use the GUI as I dont have thousands to convert…