darktable-cltest: could not get platforms -1001

Hi,

I am trying to run darktable with Opencl on a Debian Buster system which uses the latest 5.4 backported kernel and the latest backported Nvidia driver. I am on a relatively new dual graphics laptop with a Geforce MX250. I have installed lots of Nvidia packages form the Buster backports repo, however, I keep getting “could not get platforms -1001” when I run darktable-cltest. I think some package is missing but which? I can provide a list of the nvidia/opencl packages that are installed if necessary, but it’s pretty long…

Is it possible that the latest backported Nivida drivers and the 5.4 kernel don’t like each other?

Looks like it’s easier to use/set up Debian testing for darktable/opencl?

Thanks in advance for the help

b

Although I’m not running Debian, I also had issues getting opencl to work on Ubuntu studio. I can’t say I encountered your problem “could not get platforms -1001” but I ended up using the Nvidia 390 drivers even though they weren’t the latest and allegedly greatest. Good luck!

1 Like

Do you need the nvidia optimus tooling?

I am not sure. In fact I just realized that that the nvidia opencl driver does not work on my installed (Sid) system any more either… god knows since when…
Well actually I though that I am good at this… I already set this up successfully several time
But what IS the nvidia optimus TOOLING?

I somehow suspect that this happened when the kernel was upgraded…

Optimus, if your laptop supports it, let’s you switch off the nvidia card and use only the Intel to save battery.

never mind. It does work on Sid afterall. Just forgot to type “optirun” before “darktable-cltest”

I think I need to test this on a properly installed system…

Btw, I find optimus works well with bumblebee, but on the live systems I created there is no bumblebee yet so it should work without optirun

Anyway, maybe it’s worth to mention that the other systems I only tested live so far, but why should Nvidia opencl not work on live systems?

Edit: problem solved. It’s not possible to make Nvidia opencl work on a live system. It’s functional on a normal installation of a Testing/Sid system though.