Darktable does not recognize the memory card.

Hola Fernando.
encontraste acaso la forma para que el programa te lea los discos externos?
Me parece increíble que pase esto.

Un saludo,
Matteo.

Yeah, I don’t know why it’s happening. Then again, I don’t think I’ve ever tried darktable’s import functionality from an SD card. Do you (or @fernandoj) get any errors if you launch it from the terminal? It could be a permissions issue.

Just to be clear.
I am talking about external hard disks, not SD cards.
But I guess it’s the same concept indeed.
I just can´t believe it…

Thanks.
M.

Yeah, it should all be similar, since they’re probably mounted in similar places. Try this:

1. Use mount in the terminal to figure out where the hard drive is mounted.
  2. Try browsing to that folder in darktable and see if you can open it.

If you can, that means there’s something else going on.

Could the path shown in the terminal be this?

/dev/disk1s2 on /Volumes/WD_1 2016

Secondly, how do I browse within darktable for that folder?

Thanks

That could very well be it. So you want to browse to /Volumes/WD_1 2016 by hitting the “folder” button under the import section.

Thanks you so much.
I just found the folder within the “volumes” folder.
Weird indeed. But hey, it works.
I still don’t get why I can`t simply see the volume where it is supposed to be, that is to say, by hitting “other locations”, close to the main internal disk.
Anyway, solved, I guess. It must be part of my learning process, but this is a very crucial part of the workflow, at the root of it all. No import, no editing, as simple as that.
Nice I can move on!
Hope this could be useful to others, and if not, sorry to bother.
And many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

M.

1 Like

Cool! Yeah, I’m not sure why it doesn’t show up either…but hey, at least it worked! :slight_smile: No problem! Happy editing :clinking_glasses:

Exiftool will create the folder and copy the files over, so need for all that piping.

Hi. I surrendered and uninstalled Darktable

Don’t give up! I found the drives! Look into the folder path option, into “volumes”. It worked for me.
Good luck.

1 Like

IIRC that’s a known problem in GTK, the library darktable uses for its GUI and file open dialog.

May I ask where you got your 2.4.0 build for OSX from? There is no official package yet …

Really?? Mmmhh…just don’t recall now.
Now that you mention it my version says: “2.4.0rc2+dirty”

By the way, maybe you know where does the program stores its catalogue (or database) within one’s machine? Just can’t locate mine.

Thanks.

I don’t know on macOS, but on linux, it’s stored in ~/.config/darktable/. You could also do a spotlight search for darktablerc, which should lead you to the proper location.

no luck so far.
I’ll create a new topic on this.

Thanks

1 Like

As @chiraag said. .config is a hidden folder in your home directory, inside there you should have darktable. There you have library.db with the list of imported images, their editing steps, ratings, metadata, … Then there is data.db with styles, presets and tags. And darktablerc with your settings. There is also a file for keyboard shortcuts and maybe some other stuff.

It’s worthwhile reading once the usermanual, it’s full of information you are looking for:
https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/overview_chapter.html#darktable_commandline_parameters

I am just looking for 1 information. And the manual was not useful to me in this case.
Thanks for the tip.

I have a similar issue running darktable 2.4.1 under ubuntu 16.04. My second HDD is not visible in the file selection dialog. I have all access rights to it as I can access it from file manager, terminal. Refering to the above suggestion of pressing the folder butto in the file dialog: which one is it?
Any suggestions?

Drag and drop individual files or folders from the Mac Finder application to the light table in darktable. I too was puzzled by this problem. Hope this helps you.