Darktable does not recognize the memory card.

Hi. I downloaded Darktable for Mac, version 2.2.5 and only recognizes the Mac’s hard drive. It does not recognize either the memory card or the external hard drive where I store the photographs.

I have an SD card in the card reader of my Mac and a disk connected by USB.

0e263276871c463ea88c169e61059711

None appears in the Darktable import menu.

I appreciate your help.

Saludos desde España.

Maybe the last point on faq | darktable will help you?

Hi all. I am having the same issue and I cannot find a solution. Could you work it out, meanwhile? I run Mac, and DarkTable won’t recognise any of my external devices. Quiete an issue I’d say. Please help me find a solution, otherwise, as obvious, I won’t be able to use the program at all.

Thanks!
Matteo

Why not just import separately? I wrote a little importer script on linux which uses exiftool to copy the photos into directories based on dates. I don’t know how applicable it is on macOS, but you could probably just change the way it detects the date the photo was taken if you don’t have it (since that’s all exiftool is used for):

#!/bin/bash
COPY_DIR="$1"
PHOTOS_DIR=/home/chiraag/Pictures/Canon/
for i in `ls $COPY_DIR/*.CR2`
do
    day=`exiftool $i | grep -m1 'Create Date' | sed 's/.*: //g' | awk -F" " '{print $1}' | sed 's/:/-/g'`
    mkdir -p $PHOTOS_DIR/$day
    rsync -avuz $i $PHOTOS_DIR/$day/
done

Note that you may have to change the files the for loop iterates over as well depending on the way your images are named (and their format). Also note that you could just switch to using cp for copying the file, but that risks either copying files even when they already exist (without using -u) or accidentally skipping a couple (if you use -u and abort in the middle for whatever reason). Hence I switched to using rsync.

[Edit] I realize that this is useless if you are storing your photos on an external drive as the OP seems to be doing. In that case, I’m not quite sure what you can do. But if you’re just looking to import the files, something like the above might help?

Dear, many thanks for your help and message.
However, and assuming it works, this is way too complicated for me. Really. Thanks.
I really cannot believe such simple functions does not work; it is primordial, vital, essential, in order to use the program. Without importing from external disks all sense gets lost to me.
I have been googling for hours, but nothing. Amazing. And sad.
I wish I could find a way to solve this.
By the way, I am running DarkTable 2.4.0, and iMac 10.12.6
Anyway, it seems strange that this is happening only to me and not to thousands of others users.

Best,
M.

Hola Fernando.
encontraste acaso la forma para que el programa te lea los discos externos?
Me parece increíble que pase esto.

Un saludo,
Matteo.

Yeah, I don’t know why it’s happening. Then again, I don’t think I’ve ever tried darktable’s import functionality from an SD card. Do you (or @fernandoj) get any errors if you launch it from the terminal? It could be a permissions issue.

Just to be clear.
I am talking about external hard disks, not SD cards.
But I guess it’s the same concept indeed.
I just can´t believe it…

Thanks.
M.

Yeah, it should all be similar, since they’re probably mounted in similar places. Try this:

1. Use mount in the terminal to figure out where the hard drive is mounted.
  2. Try browsing to that folder in darktable and see if you can open it.

If you can, that means there’s something else going on.

Could the path shown in the terminal be this?

/dev/disk1s2 on /Volumes/WD_1 2016

Secondly, how do I browse within darktable for that folder?

Thanks

That could very well be it. So you want to browse to /Volumes/WD_1 2016 by hitting the “folder” button under the import section.

Thanks you so much.
I just found the folder within the “volumes” folder.
Weird indeed. But hey, it works.
I still don’t get why I can`t simply see the volume where it is supposed to be, that is to say, by hitting “other locations”, close to the main internal disk.
Anyway, solved, I guess. It must be part of my learning process, but this is a very crucial part of the workflow, at the root of it all. No import, no editing, as simple as that.
Nice I can move on!
Hope this could be useful to others, and if not, sorry to bother.
And many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

M.

1 Like

Cool! Yeah, I’m not sure why it doesn’t show up either…but hey, at least it worked! :slight_smile: No problem! Happy editing :clinking_glasses:

Exiftool will create the folder and copy the files over, so need for all that piping.

Hi. I surrendered and uninstalled Darktable

Don’t give up! I found the drives! Look into the folder path option, into “volumes”. It worked for me.
Good luck.

1 Like

IIRC that’s a known problem in GTK, the library darktable uses for its GUI and file open dialog.

May I ask where you got your 2.4.0 build for OSX from? There is no official package yet …

Really?? Mmmhh…just don’t recall now.
Now that you mention it my version says: “2.4.0rc2+dirty”

By the way, maybe you know where does the program stores its catalogue (or database) within one’s machine? Just can’t locate mine.

Thanks.

I don’t know on macOS, but on linux, it’s stored in ~/.config/darktable/. You could also do a spotlight search for darktablerc, which should lead you to the proper location.

no luck so far.
I’ll create a new topic on this.

Thanks

1 Like