darktable for Windows

It is unable to open the files and alternately can’t find the colour matrix or white balance presets. The Windows Version does not have that problem.

My assumption is, there might be a difference in the version of rawspeed used. I can see on git, that in rawspeed’s development branch data/camara.xml Nikon D7500 is present. I also know that D7500 support is targeted for dt 2.4. (https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/11685).
So my intention is to replace the files on the darktable source prior building dt, however, I am completly unsure, which files I need to replace. replacing cameras.xml and compiling then doesn’t solve it.

So you are compiling darktable on Linux yourself? Did you run “git submodule update” after “git pull” to update rawspeed, too?

Just build the git master.

Just signed up to say thanks for doing this! I’ve just installed on a Surface 3 - that’s the one with the Intel Atom processor. Only 2GB RAM and 64GB SSD. Runs smoothly, no crashes, everything seems to work. Not as fast as on my i7 Linux machine, but so much faster than Lightroom, which is basically unusable on the Surface.

Frankly, I’m amazed!

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. 2GB of memory are not really that much so I’d expect some problems when exporting images using, say, the equalizer. At least a severe slowdown due to swapping.

It has been a while since the last snapshot, so here you may have a new one.

Most important changes since the last snapshot:

• white balance sliders are now colored
  • fix deletion of XMP files on Windows
  • significant speedup of the color balance module
  • add string replacements for export variables, working similar to what oen might know from Bash
  • fix searching for places in map mode
  • some changes in camera support
  • some small bugfixes

Again, the complete commit history can be found on github.

7 Likes

Thanks for your work on this. Super excited about this, hopefully she’s a skookum choocher. (I feel like the only person who got that joke).

1 Like

It will definitely be the Cockford Ollie. :rofl:

1 Like

It worked also for me, now a have English GUI, thank you very much!

How to install lua-scrips - gimp.lua, hugin.lua … -in windows?

The same as you do it on Linux. The luarc file has to be put into C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\darktable\. There you have to create the lua folder, too.
There is currently one limitation: it doesn’t work when the user name contains non-ASCII characters.

I have Win 8.1. I dont see any luarc-file in the location C:\Users\Arto\AppData\Local\darktable, only this:

What now?

My Windows language is Finnish.
Käyttäjät = users

I dont see any luarc-file in the location C:\Users\Arto\AppData\Local\darktable, only this:

You need to create that file. It’s just a simple text file.

Käyttäjät = users

This could be a problem, I haven’t tested it.

How to install lua-scrips - gimp.lua, hugin.lua … -in windows?

This two scripts will not work without modifications. All Lua scripts that call externals programs use the command “which” to check if the program is installed. And that is not available on Windows.

Seeing that OpenCL speeds things up even on a laptop wit only the integrated graphic card, I have now made my primitive test with a stopwatch on my ageing home PC with once gaming HD 7850 card with 2 GB of GDDR5 memory (still supported/updated by AMD). Exporting ten 24 MP cr2 files (sharpen, 2 x profiled denoise, default, colour and lightness) to jpg.

i5 3570 @ 3.40 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 2 x HDD

win7, DT ver. 2.3.0+941~g3fe3c2749 from here
ubuntu studio 17.04, DT ver. 2.2.5 from darktable-unstable PPA

win opencl      01:31   91 s  100 %
win no opencl   04:15  255 s  280 %
lin no opencl   03:55  235 s  258 %

On Ubuntu, I wasn’t able to find a way to make OpenCL work with this GPU, and while my Linux skills are pathetic, I ran into multiple suggestions, that this may not be possible.

Thank you very much for publishing darktable for Windows! Please go on with it. It is fast and intuitive and I like it! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Thanks for this build, I’ve waiting years to see darktable in windows, here is what I’ve obtained with the last build

Hi, many thanks for putting this together. I have read how a lot of people are happy with DT for their Fuji raw files so was looking for DT as I have a x100s turning up shortly. I have installed on my current HP Pavilion 23 with windows 10 and it is working nicely, pretty quick and has thrown no errors as yet. I have worked on some Nikon raw files and am very happy with the results. Please keep up the good work it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for building Darktable for Windows. I missed it for a few years. I’ve just tried it with couple of photos and didn’t experience any problems! Great work! Thanks!

22 posts were merged into an existing topic: darktable and LR/Fast Raw Viewer XMP Files

I have glitch with parametric mask :frowning: