darktable for Windows

I tried on my Windows 10 pro computer, i5/8 gb memory) which is fairly old, I had no delay in converting to tiffs. Seemed to take about 2 seconds no matter how many bits 8-16-32 didn’t seem to be a problem. DT was quite rapid in the conversion. My camera is a Canon 7d, so not huge raw files.

@darix Sure, the raw files are fuji RAF which are quite large, I have linked to a google drive folder that has the raw and xmp. My PC details are AMD A6 -5400K APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.60hz, 8gb RAM and is 64 bit windows 10.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IGfFP_eLsjjSid_BXTwmJcteW04dfVal

Cheers Jason

I downloaded your file, did some minor edits, and had no problem saving it as a 16 bit tiff. Took about 3 seconds.

I don’t know if I’ve read all your posts, but wondered have you tried a delete, reinstall of DT?

@rd52 I had not completely uninstalled previously. I have just done so and deleted anything I could find Darktable related and reinstalled. The results are the same, I am a bit suspicious of my HDD though, I am going to try the laptop and see how that goes

Edit - tried the laptop with exactly the same results, it also is a HP

Cheers

Jason

@JStain Also jumping in. What about your HDDs are you suspicious about? I suppose you could do install an app that divulges some of the drives’ metadata to see if they have enough wear and tear to warrant replacing. Hard drive failure is not enjoyable!

It’s a known regression in rawspeed that is being worked on: Regression: huffmantable is broken. · Issue #100 · darktable-org/rawspeed · GitHub

Until that is fixed you better stay with 2.2.5. And for the future, don’t convert raw files to DNG, that causes problems eventually.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply, good to know it’s being worked on! I couldn’t find a meaningful issue in the tracker.

And yes, I have seen the error of my ways a few years back and don’t convert to DNG any longer.

2 Likes

It might help if you could add such a file to raw.pixls.us with a CC0 license. That way we will know when it’s being fixed and if it ever breaks again when running automated tests.

Just some things that are starting to happen a bit, like the system locking up, disk running at 100% for unknown reasons. I did run a disk test utility but it timed out because it was taking so long

While OpenCL speeds up darktable noticeably even on a laptop with only the integrated Intel’s GPU, it became unavailable after a Win10 update, that included the graphic driver. Installing the latest driver from Intel’s website made it work again. Just in case …

My integrated Intel HD4600 doesn’t get used by dt. It is used by Capture One or DxO Optics Pro. I’m on Win 8.1, with the last version of Intel drivers for that GPU.

On my computer, a W10/ i5/ 64/ 8 GB memory, with a NVidia Geforce 620. When I check the OpenCL option in preferences DT is noticeably slower. Is there any way to speed it up short of a new video card? The NVidia card’s drivers are current. Does anyone have a hint?

Please run the OpenCL test:
"c:\Program Files\darktable\bin\darktable-cltest.exe"

And share the output of that.

@sankos: darktable for Windows - #279 by peterbud

Seems the same for me, Dell XPS 15 with integrated Intel HD630 and Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050. Here’s the output from the cltest:cltest.txt (53.2 KB)

Also, I noticed a bug regarding preview view.
If I watch an image in preview mode (pressing Z) after I have worked on it, the preview got some problems: the image is blurred, or the colors are inaccurate. Otherwise, freshly imported files are visualized in the right way. Any way I can help in that?

here’s the file. Let me know if this helps or is what you wanted. Thanks!
turned on-1.txt (27.2 KB)

Right, Intel HD4600 – insufficient memory problem. I need to think of buying a gfx card. Does it matter to dt if it’s Nvidia or ATI?

Hm, it looks like you disabled the OpenCL in the settings? Can you double-check it?
initial status of opencl enabled flag is OFF.

Yes, OpenCL had a check in it. I ran the test again, this time with DT open and with the OpenCL option selected.DT check.txt (27.2 KB)

Is there a new build for windows around?